Spotting the apparent juxtaposition, “time is the most valuable thing a man can spend”. While time is always of the essence, our present is a result of our past which further navigates our future. Then, why not spend a worthwhile amount on an indispensable accessory; our time-teller- the watch? And LONGINES, the timeless chronicle of a timepiece, deserves a mention at the top of this list for some good reasons.
Now, do not get us wrong! With fashion trends coming and going, a wristwatch has become a gregarious symbol of prestige and status. Today, getting a luxurious watch is akin to investing in a high-end designer bag or shoes. And, we style lovers are not complaining! In the larger realm, it also makes for a perfect romantic gift for your better half, or memorabilia passed through several generations of the family. Talk about heritage values and vintage pieces! Additionally, it can also symbolize one’s laborious efforts to flourish and thrive in their professional life. Hey, don’t you want to reward yourself with something unforgettable after finally receiving that massive promotion?
One such label, which lives by the philosophy, “Elegance is an attitude”, is the eternal luxury watch-maker brand, Longines. They have been at the forefront for almost two hundred years (189 years to be exact). Did you just gape in astonishment? Well, we are not surprised! Having been around through major moments in world politics, aka World Wars I and II, amongst others, this brand has continued to evolve and redefine luxury to keep up with the changing times. It is no surprise that their designs have achieved the status of class and splendour, galore.
Time Travel – Beginnings of the Longines Watches
Journeying back to the 19th century, Longines was founded by a Swizz watchmaker Auguste Agassiz in 1832. Boasting of owning Switzerland’s oldest trademarked logo, they were among the first major manufacturers to house produce all components under one banner. In fact, they were key suppliers for all scientific and military-related applications due to their large production capacity. Having set up their base in Saint Imier, initially, they have been instrumental in designing some iconic pieces from pocket watches to chronometers and beyond.
You’ll be surprised to know that they were “the official watch for keeping world aviation records”. Their trajectory from releasing the memorable and still in-demand, ‘Lindberg’ and ‘Weems’, to their more recent ‘Heritage Line’ has been nothing short of phenomenal. Upheld as a ‘premier watch curator’ even today, their range of products has increased greatly to include different aspects of masculinity and much-talked-about feminism. From sporting events to boardroom meetings; key international gatherings to an evening soiree, you will surely find something exquisite to suit your purpose and tastes.
What Makes Longines Watches So Desirable?
With more and more patrons appreciating the ‘old is new’ ethos, timeless pieces and labels have made their mark enough and even beyond, we would say. Heralded as a vintage charmer, there is something sweet about history, perhaps, the qualities of enduring strength and character.
What is common between top-notch watch brands such as Tag Heuer, Rolex, Omega and Longines? They’re all ageless, having firmly established their position in the market, spanning centuries and cohorts. While we pay for their prestige and statuesque grace, we prefer the historical connect immensely. Seen as homages and collectibles, these timeless pieces marvellously symbolize the meaning of time, itself.
Looked upon as the ‘most honourable watch’, it basks in the glory of getting global ambassadors such as the ethereal Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to the Titanic stalwart Kate Winslet to endorse the brand. No wonder everyone desires to invest in this luxe accessory.
These mechanical and quartz watches are quite affordably priced in comparison to their competitors. Its full-proof two-year warranty further solidifies its authenticity. An amalgamation of functionality and luxury, the Longines watches are generally automatic in nature, while the influx of 18 carats of yellow gold or rose-gold amplifies their standards.
Unique in its collections, this brand has only grown by leaps and bounds over the years.
Most Popular and Loved Longines Watch Models
To all you wonderful ladies who continuously ensure that our families and professional lives run smoothly while taking care of your own aspirations, we’d like to say kudos. Epitomising inner strength, resilience and courage, we women are capable of accomplishing anything that we put our minds to, and can we just say, we like to do it with style and splendour. And, the varied range of these ‘Very High Precision’ women’s watches does just that. Hey, it does not hurt to indulge, right?
Highly feminine, sleek and eye-catching, these priceless pieces make women feel special, confident and empowered. We actually believe that through their designs, Longines has gracefully adapted to the norms of the modern woman, who helms multiple roles in her life with élan, thanks to their androgynous designs. Probably, certain structures are touted as more effusive; paying a tribute to the 21st-century woman.
Read on to know some of their creations that have etched an exceptional place in our hearts:
1. Longines DolceVita ( L5.722.214.171.124): Powerfully chic, isn’t it? A part of the magnificent Elegance Collection, this model stays true to its name. Paying homage to the extravagant luxuries of life, this collection can be uniquely interpreted featuring softened lines. To bring out the highly refined woman, the sleek rectangular case of stainless steel set against the red leather strap does just that. The silver dial comprises two blue hands and Roman numerals, relegating us back in time. The face is characterized by a distinct square window, along with a second-hand tracking time. Representing the quartz movement, this model is available in several colours, which brings out different shades of a woman. For us, the red one symbolizes love and it is quite seductive while being a perfect option for dressing to kill (well, not literally, but to stand out). The Alligator strap makes it comfortable on the wrist while exuding its delicate features. It is priced at approximately Rs. 1,10,000.
2. Longines Dolce Vita (L5.5126.96.36.199): A fantastic option for a formal reception, this model screams opulence and lavishness. Rectangular in shape, its diameter runs by 23.30 X 37.00 mm. Sartorial in its colour choice of silver, “flinqué”, this stainless steel watch is endowed with an 18karat pink gold crown. Rectangular and dainty in shape, the scratch and water-resistant sapphire crystal glass protects the body efficiently. The case set is encrusted with 46 Top Wesselton IF-VVS diamonds, while the hour markers are given in roman numerals. The blue steeled hands add some spunk to this classic design. According to us, it can even make a statement jewellery piece as it looks regal. Well, not astonishingly, its price is steep as well- it costs a whopping Rs 4,00,000. Do you think it’s worth the price?
3. La Grande Classique de Longines (L188.8.131.52.7): Striking. Eye turner. Spectacular- is what this piece stands for! Launched in 2011, this watch personifies grandiosity to its core. For all the boss women out there, this is for you. This fantastic quartz, two-tone time machine, merges a 24 mm stainless steel body which is filled with an 18 karat gold ‘Physical Vapour Deposition’ or PVD. With a similar glass and water resistance like the previous one, the dial is white in the background, with black hands and painted indexes. Comprising a strap replete with a triple safety folding clasp and push-piece opening mechanism, this slightly fuller piece looks minimalist, yet bold and classy at the same time. The distinctive aspect, however, is the steel bracelet with gold and silver tones. Available for Rs. 1, 00,000, this piece from the 1992 collection remains eminent even today.
4. Longines PrimaLuna (L184.108.40.206.6): Costing an extravagant Rs 3, 27.000, this robustly hefty pick gravitates between androgenize and femininity. Scaling 30mm in dimension, this piece is a bolder choice for women. However, their lighter hues balance the subtlety beautifully. Made of stainless steel and an 18karat gold cap, the white, mother of pearl dial uplifts this icon, making it highly fashionable. Thicker than most of their watches, this model boasts of consisting of a scratch and water-resistant stainless glass with several layers of anti-reflective coating on the inner side. The blue steel hands add a playful vibe to this otherwise mature option. What we really love about this piece is that it has diamond indexes. Now, now, let’s talk about opulence, gravitas and aplomb. Adding finishing touches, the dial set is embellished with 11 Top Wesselton VS-SI diamonds. Are you planning to go on a lunch date with friends or your partner; or nervous to slay that important pitch meeting? Well, feel free to rely on this classy piece.
Well, did you enjoy going on this time travel episode with us? Are you looking for a statement piece for yourself and found just that through this article? If yes, then we’re so glad that we helped you achieve that. But when deciding to make such a worthwhile investment, we advise you to further up your research game and choose a timepiece that best suits your personality. Luckily, Longines definitely has the power to spoil us for choice. Bring out the effervescent, boisterous or soft-spoken side in you by pampering yourself in this visual treat.
To sign off, here is a list of shops where you can get the best deals on these chronometers or wrist watches:
- Longines Showroom: There are a few outlets in all the major cities in India.
- Ethos watches
- Kapoor Watch Co.
Apart from the official Longines watches showroom, the other two retailers are reliable and trustworthy online shopping options to try out. Nonetheless, we suggest that it is always preferable to get it from the luxury house itself and double-check authenticity while shopping digitally.
To conclude, all we’d like to say is, “Hard work makes dreams work”. Need we say more?