Glowing beautiful skin does not come easy. It only comes to those who work hard for it. Like everything else in this world, our body also asks for a lot of love and pampering. The more you nourish and invest in it, the better it rewards you. Skin and hair are the most reflective mirrors of the quality of our life and our overall well-being; one just cannot afford to ignore them. Goes without saying, it is a cumulative mix of what we eat, how well we sleep, and how much physical exercise we engage ourselves in. A healthy equilibrium of mental and physical wellness, spiritual profoundness, and social gaiety is what shows on our skin through the years. Of course, one cannot deny the contribution of genes to it. From a radiant mother and father comes a glowing, healthy skin texture to their children. For now, let us educate you on some of the most effective morning rituals that would help you get closer to that scar-free, flawless skin and a slew of compliments coming your way. Thank us later.
Morning Rituals to Follow for a Healthy, Nourished Skin
1. Sleep early, wake up early – For the unaware, our skin repairs itself while we sleep. The only hours of the day when this replenishing mode is at its best are between 12 midnight to 5 am. We must take a good eight-hour sleep and wake up on time in the morning. The later we get up, the more bloated and puffier our skin would be. If you would have ever noticed, getting up at 11 am or 12 noon, makes your skin appear tired and dull through the rest of the day. Taking a nap in the afternoon works better in lending a glow to your skin than getting up late in the morning.
2. Practice facial exercises – Our skin cells need exercise too. While still in bed, engage in some mild form of facial exercise. Pull in the air into your mouth and move it left and right to the cheeks. This would help minimize the size of your pores and maintain skin elasticity. Take deep breathes. This helps in better circulation of oxygen to your skin cells. Aggressively rub both your palms against each other. Cover your entire face with your hands. The heat of the rubbed palms would transfer to your skin and aid in blood circulation. Women these days are also using tools for facial massages and exercise. From jade rollers, sonic vibrators, gold-plated rollers to Gua Sha face tools, they all help in sculpting the jawline, refining the pores, promoting blood circulation, and overall enhancing the texture and glow of the skin. You may invest in one of these tools and practice it first thing in the morning, while still enjoying your early morning cup of tea in the bed.
3. Drink hot water with lemon and honey – Ideally, for healthy skin, one should refrain from putting first anything else in the belly except warm water. Add lemon, and honey to your hot water and drink it on empty stomach. This helps flush out toxins and clarifies your system. The formula also works well in balancing the pH levels of your skin. Scars, blemishes, and acne get treated if your system is clean and purified. If this concoction does not suit your body, try boiling tulsi or neem leaves in water and drink it empty stomach. And if nothing else, just drink two glasses of hot water first thing in the morning. This is an indisputable solution to a lot of your skin problems and the miracles would be visible in a week itself of commencing the routine.
4. Skip checking your phone or laptop for the first one hour – For 45 minutes after you open your eyes in the morning, do not reach out for either your phone, tablet, laptop, or smartwatch. In a perfect world, one should stay away from these gadgets for as long as they can. The blue rays from the electronic devices damage your skin much faster than you think. Constant viewing of screens leads to cell degeneration and premature signs of aging. The skin looks drab and worn out, loses its luster, and develops crow’s feet and fine lines. Studies suggest that crow’s feet (the fine lines around the corners of your eyes) develop over time because of tiny muscle contractions that happen every time we strain our eyes to view something on our phone and laptop screens.
5. Do not sleep drunk – One would realize that whenever you sleep drunk or have over binged on booze the night before, you wake up with a deprived, dull, and bloated skin. Never sleep on drinks. Always finish with drinking a lot of water, before you sleep. The greater number of drinks you have had, the more water you should gallop before going to bed. This would refrain the alcohol to interfere and adversely impact your system a little too much.
6. Mediate, walk or just connect with nature – Spend the early few minutes post waking up in some form of meditative exercise. You can either meditate, chant, or just take a slow walk in the garden. You can also walk barefoot on the grass. This helps with the circulation of blood to the mind. Pull away all your thoughts from the worldly chaos and try to connect with nature and beyond in the most unadulterated state of mind. The early morning calm and peace would transcend into your mental space and the same will reflect in your aura and the condition of your skin.
7. Shower with cold or lukewarm water – Never bath with steaming hot water, no matter how soothing and relaxing it might feel. Hot water strips off your skin of all the natural oils and dehydrates and deprives it. The skin is left, irritated and scaly. Always shower in cold or lukewarm water. Never, and I reiterate the word, never, ever splash hot water on your face. Not even lukewarm. Always use normal to cold water to rinse your face. This prevents your skin from sagging and losing its elasticity. Coldwater also helps with tightening the pores and restoring the firmness of facial muscles.
8. Be consistent with the morning skincare regime – Clean your face well with a mild, suitable facial cleanser. Do focus on the ingredients. Opt for something organic, sulfate, and paraben-free. Always use a toner or astringent to close the pores and retain the youthful suppleness of your skin. Nourish and repair with a hydrating day cream or moisturizer. Do ensure to select a product that has potent ingredients to address your specific skin concerns. We recommend you also invest in a Vitamin C or Hydraulic serum or facial oil as an additional supplement to your skincare regime. This would work on enhancing the texture glow and radiance and getting you closer to that flawless skin. Always remember to layer it up with a thick coat of effective sunscreen lotion or gel, whether planning to stay indoors or moving out.
Early morning is the best time to invest in yourself. Make good use of those wee hours of the day. Take some time out for your skin. Love it, nurture it, caress it. These small efforts are going to reward you with a lifetime of youthful, glowing, blemish-free, flawless skin.