WEDDING SHERWANI - SIX THINGS every GROOM should keep in mind
Gone are the days when brides were the sole cynosure of everyone’s eyes on their D-Day. Welcome to the latter part of the 21st century, where grooms, themselves are particular about what they wear and how they look on what is touted as one of the most important days of their lives. Well, we women love our better halves to immaculately groom themselves and compliment us- after all, it’s about embarking on a union of equality and compatibility, isn’t it?
With muses like Ranveer Singh donning unconventional and slightly eccentric looks with so much suave and spunk, to Virat Kohli looking debonair in sartorial, but jaw-dropping outfits during their respective wedding extravaganzas, this niche has scaled upwards since the past few years and has encouraged grooms to notch it up with their trousseau too. This post is dedicated to all you lovely bridegrooms out there who are probably stepping foot in this sacred arena with their WEDDING SHERWANI and Trousseau.
The traditional Indian wedding outfit for men, popularly known as a Sherwani looks extremely ethereal and classy. It has been a favourite since ancient times, thereby deeply rooted in our rich cultural heritage. Emperors such as Chattrapati Shivaji Maharaj or the Mughal Emperor Akbar and their lineage dressed in these outfits, and it is from them who our ace designers draw inspiration. Right from the intricate and detailed embroidered work to the fitting, it’s awe-inspiring to see the level of talent and workmanship that our country has produced and housed.
ACE INDIAN DESIGNERS WHO MAKE WEDDING SHERWANIS FOR GROOMS
Some of our highly recommended menswear connoisseurs are definitely ace designers Sabyasachi, Shantanu and Nikhil, Raghavendra Rathore, Kunal Rawal, Varun Bahl, Tarun Tahiliani, and Anita Dongre. What we really love about them is they recognize and strike a balance between the old and the new, the traditional and the contemporary, resulting in beautiful alchemy of sorts borne out of the concurrence of artistry and impeccable craftsmanship. Since we are touching upon the current fashion trends, how can we not talk about and applaud some of the newbies and upcoming designers in this field who have worked tirelessly and persistently to carve their way into this world?
Image Courtesy -Grooms of Sabyasachi, Shantanu and Nikhil, Tarun Tahiliani
Concocting them as the more modern menswear couturiers, they have amazed everyone with their unique aesthetic sensibilities and creativity. Some of our favourites would definitely be SVA by Sonam & Paras Modi. Their SVA collection is all things understated and classy and thereby producing wearable and intuitive silhouettes. Rahul Mishra has reinvented floral designs for men, and be it his Nehru Jackets or the Bandhgalas; he adds playful twists to his styles. Sulakshana Monga, through her ‘Soltee’ collection, has strengthened her position in the industry, making her a household name with her intricate embroideries, immaculate tailoring, and bold cuts (All hail, zardozi, and luxe fabrics!).
Image Courtesy – Anushree Reddy, SVA Couture, Rahul Mishra, Sulakshana Monga (in the order of images)
Anushree Reddy remains pretty inconspicuous with her vintage charm, and that simply translates into her alluring designs. Her subtle hues are just marvellous. Lastly, the most recent entrants to foray into this niche space are Sarah and Sandeep. Their signature style consists of bold colours, fashion-forward looks, and simple silhouettes that helm the crown.
Image Courtesy – Diwan Saheb
Now, if you’re at that juncture or phase, where you need to start shopping for your wedding trousseau, do not worry- we have you sorted. While there are many other supremely talented designers catering to this niche, there are a few tips to be kept in mind while selecting your perfect Wedding Sherwani. Read on to know six such life-altering pointers that will make your festivities even more memorable.
SIX THINGS To Keep In Mind For An Impeccable WEDDING SHERWANI Look
- Colour palette: While it is mostly the brides who drive these decisions, it’s so much more endearing to see colour coordinated couples taking joint steps into their ‘happily ever after’ together. Pretty much a symbol of what this next chapter of their lives together beholds, don’t you think? Whether it is a monotone or a contrast, make sure that you both look wonderfully aligned together in a single frame. Everyone is going to have their eyes on both of y’all.
Going back to celebrity weddings, we loved how Virat complemented Anushka by opting for a pink Nehru Jacket, while she regaled us in a breath-taking blue and pink Sabyasachi creation during their Mehendi gala. His wedding attire consisted of an ivory raw silk sherwani, hand-embroidered in a vintage Benarasi pattern, along with a rose silk Kota Safa to complete the ensemble. Against the rustic and dreamy locales of Tuscany, with his Lady Love in a stunning blush pink Sabyasachi creation beside him, they looked enthralling together.
The country’s heartthrob, Ranveer Singh too, outshone most grooms and set some serious goals with his outfit choices. Be it his colour coordinated off-white and maroon printed cotton anghrakha, along with an embroidered silk bundi during Mehendi or his kanjeevaram sherwani during the wedding, he looked every bit in sync with the gorgeous Deepika Padukone. Just like them, choose your outfits wisely. For a daytime function, you can play around with bright or pastel colours, keeping in mind the theme of the event – yellow for a Haldi or pink for a Mehendi is an incredulous option. For an evening affair, go for darker, solid, and bold colours such as royal blue, wine, or black. You can play around with shades of golden, champagne, grey, and such timeless classics, for they never go out of style.
P.S.:- While choosing your colour, it’s advisable to be classier and not very experimental. For more on the Celebrity Wedding Outfits, do read our post, ‘CELEBRITY BRIDAL LOOKS that we have totally crushed over in last few years.’
2. Trends of 2021: We believe that the red and golden combination for a couple never goes out of trend. Whatever your colour scheme, always pre-decide a theme, and work around it. In recent times, one such fabric that caused quite a storm is velvet, for both men and women. It looks stunningly royal, especially for an evening function. A bandhgala with cotton jodhpuri pants, along with a stole, shawl or a brooch totally makes the cut. Some of our other favourite fabric suggestions are raw silk, Banarasi brocades adorned with bootis, florals, or vine motifs in pastel shades make for a majestic look, and the sensational Indian-crafts inspired Ajrak Sherwani with resplendent chinos or Kalamkari detailed asymmetric sherwani with an indo-western dhoti twist. If your vibe is more minimalist, a khadi or silk kurta with a single coloured Nehru jacket is for you. Certain contemporary styles such as a long jacket, ikat jacket, or even a double-breasted jacket adds more fire. Amp up your persona with tuxedos, fusion and formal wear too.
3. Accessories: To add more élan and the extra oomph to your look, some timeless accessories are a win-win, always. Ornamented kurta buttons in contrasted or monochrome tones, simplistic four-layered ruby malas to add that extra elegance, and a colour blocking pocket square (hello chivalry) all accentuate and uplift the attire. As a distinct feather, and your badge a royalty, choose a Sarpech encrusted with beautiful gems and metallic pieces. Finish your look with regal, embroidered juttis, and a beautiful stole.
4. Tailor-made Trousseau: You should be the most comfortable and confident in what you wear for it reflects on the outside. Make sure that the cuts, fitting, and designs are according to your tastes and preferences. It is advisable to wear what suits your complexion and body type too. On your big day, you should be comfortable moving around in it.
5. Consider options online: Research well ahead of time, so that this process becomes enjoyable for you. Thanks to digitization, scout for styles online and get a basic idea of what you want, followed by the designers or the stores you want to purchase your outfits from, thereby efficiently using your time.
6. Just have fun and soak it all in: While getting engrossed in the preparations leading up to your big day, do not forget the purpose of it all. Just embrace everything that leads up to it, let your hair down, and enjoy. Make memories and be ecstatic for this is your time. You’re just one step closer to being with your beloved forever.
To sign off, we hope you’ve received some direction to go about the process and your pre-wedding jitters have reduced incredulously. Please do let us know your thoughts in the comments below.