CULOTTES - A FASHION STATEMENT for the PEAR SHAPED Women
“Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes,
Not in packages, but in open hearts”
With our society becoming more progressive and inclusive, several premeditated norms are changing for the better. But if you’re a millennial, you will totally be familiar with the media and our culture’s ideals of being lean and skinny as the perfect shape. However, that is not true, and it’s so appreciable to see us embracing all body sizes, and looking beyond one’s figure and actually paying heed to the people they are.
To give a quick low-down on body types, there are five distinct body shapes which are:
- A rectangular body type is characterized by slightly ill-defined waistline, where one is not particularly curvy, and their weight is quite evenly distributed throughout the body, thereby resembling a rectangle.
- A triangular shape connotes of a woman, whose hips are wider than their bust, which is more defined in comparison to the waist. They have proportionately slim arms, with them being narrower at the top and wider at the bottom.
- An hourglass figure signifies a body shape in which the hip and the bust are nearly equal, while the waist is narrower.
- A pear shaped woman has significantly larger hips as compared to the bust.
- An inverted triangle body type is attributed by a narrow waist, while the shoulders and the bust are larger than the hips.
Most Indian women fall in the fourth body type. Not necessary falling under the ‘heavier’ category, such women often find themselves in a grey area when they have to make quintessential fashion choices. You may be an exceptional personal stylist, but it is of paramount importance to dress yourself in a way that flatters and accentuates your silhouette.
For a pear shaped person, it is advisable to go for cuts and styles which make their lower body look slimmer. Most fashion aficionados believe that culottes are a solution to this predicament. And, you know what- we completely agree with the style experts. Don’t you agree that the Duchess of Cambridge totally championed these banjos at an appearance few years ago?
What are CULOTTES - The perfect formal/informal wear for pear-shaped women
Also, known as palazzos, culottes are A-line pants, which generally end above the ankle. These pants are super comfortable, chic, classy, and can be both, casual and formal at the same time- we love this contrasting play. And one interesting fact- they were actually designed in early 18th century for women who rode horses. Isn’t it just lovely to see trends coming back in vogue and being redefined today? It is also a safe option for most of the body types, if styled cleverly.
In a tropical climate like ours, they have been easily touted as a must have in a woman’s wardrobe, proving its practicality and aesthetic value. Here are certain styling tips which can help you rock those culottes with minimal effort and panache:
- Choose darker, solid colours which make you look narrower.
- Mid-waist, clean cut and minimal embellishments do not draw attention to the slightly heavier part.
- Pear the culottes with a tuck in or form-fitting blouse, with a complimenting colour and beautiful patterns, which flatters the upper body. Florals and vertical stripes are our favourites.
- Accessorising is key, and pairing culottes with a cutesy blouse, a statement necklace or earrings and heels is oh, so dreamy.
- Sometimes it’s a marvel to show some skin, so crop tops paired with mid-calf culottes look like a show stealer. A tiny sliver of skin can break the monotony of the look and add some element, fun and character. If you are not at ease, a bodysuit or a tank top does the trick.
- Longer culottes styled with heels and a puff sleeved top elongates and uplifts the entire figure to another level.
To sign off, we would love to know what your beauty ideals are. And ladies! Cater to your curves; show them off because curves are sexy, and confidence is even sexier.