PRE DRAPED SAREE - Transcending traditions into this Modern Era
If you close your eyes and think of a quintessential Indian woman, does the image of a beautiful Saree come to your mind? A ‘Saree’ or ‘Sari’ epitomizes grace, elegance, and delicate finesse. Denoted from Sanskrit, it literally means a ‘strip of cloth’. It does not simply embody six yards worth of cloth, but it equates to that much poise and style. Having been worn for the past 5000 years, a saree is truly a timeless piece, rooted in rich cultural heritage, which keeps evolving as a fashion statement. Keeping the modern woman in mind- someone, who signifies grace, but sass; poise, but confidence; delicate, yet dynamic, a Saree is our version of POWER DRESSING. One of the most recent customizations of this elegant garment, keeping in mind the ‘busy-as-bee’ lifestyles of the modern woman, is pre draped saree.
Exploring the context further, it makes it worth a mention that we all are running and chasing dreams and deadlines in today’s world. We lack patience and the free will to while away ideally. Are you someone who does not want to deal with the arduous task of draping a saree? Or do you wish to wear a saree, but lack the adequate skills to drape one successfully? Lastly, do you prefer more easy-going options such as Anarkalis and Lehengas because a saree weighs you down and constricts your freedom? If yes, then fear not- we have got the perfect alternative for you- A Pre Draped Saree! You know as they say, ‘necessity is the mother of invention’, and so it is in this case. As a consequence of traditional meeting the contemporary, the East meeting the West, this confluence is creating all the right rage in the fashion manic world.
A PRE-DRAPED SAREE V/S PRE-STITCHED SAREE
With summer weddings right around the corner, we suggest investing in this outfit, pronto! Redefining classic drapes into fuss-free style avatars, these pieces can easily transcend from a morning wedding to an evening reception or cocktail party wear. They have glitz, glamour, and a starry affair written all over them.
Simply put, they are outfits, which draw inspiration from a gown and a traditional saree, replicating the pleating of the latter. Another inventive and closer-to-home approach is to style separate bottoms, with a pre-draped pleat or a ‘pallu’ and a blouse, which become more convenient to wear. Just drape your pallu over the blouse and secure it with a brooch or a pin, and you will be ready to rock the look. A crossover of sorts, you can pair it with dhoti, pants, palazzos, and tunics. To add a bit of oomph, you can also pair it with a crop top and a cape, or simply a cape or a ruffled blouse. So, even if you’re a bride, who is playful and vibrant, this is the perfect choice for you!
A pre-stitched saree is an umbrella term, which served the same purpose for traditional ethnic sarees. However, today, with lines being blurred between these eternal pieces, these terms are used interchangeably.
OUR BEST- LOVED DESIGNER CREATIONS OF PRE DRAPED SAREES
Paving its way and creating the fashion mills buzzing in a thunderous uproar through various international runways, fashion weeks, award shows, and film festivals, this garb is here to stay! With comfort meeting style and élan this has proved to be an ingenious hack. From Kareena Kapoor and Shilpa Shetty to Alia Bhatt and Sonakshi Sinha, this outfit is a fashion favourite. Read on to know more about some swoon-worthy creations by top-notch and upcoming designers.
1. GAURAV GUPTA: One of the foremost couture designers of our country, his signature style consists of cutting a stretch jersey and layering on a figure-flattering silhouette. We totally love how he creates those bold, stiff ruffled patterns with intricate motifs. Our personal two favourites are his ‘Forest Green’ Saree Gown and Silver Pre-draped Saree Gown consisting of glass beads and crystal embroidery giving a fairy-tale vibe. A radiant choice for cocktails and reception!
2. JADE BY MONICA AND KARISHMA: Remember that Aegean blue ruffled saree, paired with the bejewelled blouse, ornate with iridescent crystals that Mira Rajput made heads turn in at Anil Kapoor’s Diwali Party two years back? That Jade outfit makes for a perfect choice for your best friend’s sangeet or an engagement.
3. TARUN TAHILIANI: His timeless classics set a mood for some serious pleats and extravaganza. We absolutely loved his blush pink sequinned creation that Katrina Kaif donned a couple of years back. Exuberance personified, ladies! Leave your hair down or tie it up, his designs can be worn at any time of the day.
4. ARPIT MEHTA: Famous for her printed, pre draped sarees with ruffles, Arpita Mehta’s designs in Lehengas and sarees are equally loved. Flaunted by some of the reputed names in the fashion and influencer industry, we adore her pre-draped sarees which are best worn for a daytime celebration.
6. SOUGAT PAUL: An upcoming brand, SOUP by Sougat Paul is creating all the right noise. They have some wondrous, effervescent, and quirky options which you can adorn for your close friend’s wedding festivities.