CURTAIN BANGS are back - What makes them SO POPULAR again?
“Love is in the hair”- Anonymous
Feeling a bit experimental and wanting some spunk in your life, but do not know what to do? Well, as they say, “life is too short to have boring hair”. A trend that sashayed the world by storm and made a comeback in the pandemic last year is the very popular CURTAIN BANGS- a hairstyle that was a rage back in the 70s. To dive in, curtain bangs are a fringed look which is styled with a part down your middle, framing your face on both sides. Unlike a straight across fringe, which can be perceived as a stark hairdo, these bangs are longer on the sides, and have wispy soft ends, thereby making it a more subtle transformation- a tip for those, who do not wish to indulge in something completely radical.
Helmed as uplifting and adding more character to one’s face, lending it a soft, sultry vibe, this hairstyle has become a regular vision on our social media feeds. From TikTok (where it all started) to Instagram, the hashtags used for the same exceeds 70,000 posts. We believe that we have all made certain similar fashion choices at least once in our lifetime, irrespective of whether we belong to the Gen X, Gen Y, millennial or the Gen Z cohorts. And, curtain bangs seem to be one of those because they suit all face structures. If you have an oval, round, square or a heart-shaped face, fret you not- we are sure you will slay those bangs.
In fact, several shows on Netflix such as ‘Scandal’ or ‘Firefly Lane’- the latest to join the bandwagon, have embraced this fringe, and showcased it as a ‘flashback bang’ on their protagonists, while they play a younger version of themselves in their throwback scenes (Can we just take a moment and swoon over how Katherine Heigl and Sara Chalke pulled off these bangs in their hues of dark brunette and flaxen-golden hair, respectively- luminous, sensual, playful and flirtatious.) If you require more inspiration, you need to check out the social media feeds of Gigi Hadid (we hail her as the nostalgic trendsetter), Jenifer Lopez, Dakota Johnson and the global icon, Priyanka Chopra Jonas, pronto!
CURTAIN BANGS - GETTING THE BASICS RIGHT
Abiding by the ‘old is new’ adage, curtain bangs are angled in a way, whereby they are shorter in the center and longer on the sides, enhancing your eyes, making them the windows to your soul. Touted as the ‘Brigitte Bardot-esque accessory’, these bangs enhance a person’s cheekbones, along with their best features. We suggest consulting your hairstylist for their expert opinions on which style to opt for.
Often described with adjectives such as shaggy, lofty and flouncy, they are super easy to take care of, thereby being quite low-maintenance. Ariande Grande’s stylist in an interview once cited, “Curtain bangs look really great on everyone”. And they’re easy to style in a number of ways. But if you have a longer and wider forehead, you do not need to think twice before going for this look- it’s a sure short green signal. The curtain fringe will be your best friend because it will narrow the appearance of the width of your forehead. You should ideally steer clear if you are someone who has a tinier forehead. Even though curtain bangs work for everyone, they work better for straighter hair with a tinge of waviness in them. And, the best news is that it works on all lengths- bob, mid-length or long- it is customizable, and there is something for everyone.
CURTAIN BANGS - MORE PROS THAN CONS
That’s true, you lovely readers. Read on to know more about their low-maintenance hype.
These inverted V-shaped bangs help camouflage an erratic front hairline and can hide your widow’s peak or cowlick beautifully, and make you look super stylish.
It can make you look younger since they help cover your fine lines and wrinkles surreptitiously.
It can also help hide imperfections such as blemishes, dark spots, or acne. (Ironically, they are also the number one reason for getting these flaws on your forehead in the first place as hair follicles and dandruff leads to it. Embrace your flaws and flaunt them, ladies).
It gives your face a very supple and delicate look, drawing attention to your eyes and cheekbones.
It is a ‘lazy-girl-friendly’ set because a five-minute dip in the basin with your shampoo will get rid of your greasy bangs. Be sure to use the wrap-dry technique while styling them and you are good to go, even without a conditioner. Can you believe it!?
The ready textured and shaped bangs grow out quite effortlessly, requiring less care and attention.
HOW TO STYLE CURTAIN BANGS WITH ABSOLUTE PANACHE?
To style your fringe, get it wet, towel dry, and then spray it with a leave-in conditioner or a little serum. Following this, blast your hair down to your face to enable the roots to sit flat. Use a round brush to blow dry your fringe up and out, or roll and flip it, without drying the roots ‘under’. Once dried, part it down the middle or off to the side and spritz a hair spray to keep it in place. We swear by the L’Oreal range of products, and always, use a heat protectant. Seems like a breeze, doesn’t it?
Before we go, we’ve decoded some looks which give that ditsy, fun, flirtatious, yet glamorous and powerhouse vibe.
- Long Curtain Bangs: Revolutionized by JLo, simply pull the stands back in a low ponytail, and let these ‘grown out’ bangs do the talking.
- Short Curtain Bangs: Often referred to as the ‘Jameela Jameel’ bangs, wear them thick and blunt while shoving them to the sides, falling just under the eyebrows.
- Curly updo: Donned by Tesse Thompson first, these enviable bangs frame the face just right. All you need to do is to tie your hair casually, whilst keeping these bangs front and center.
- Slicked-Back Updo: This updo is the same as above, but for straighter hair. You can incorporate a slight puff too. Priyanka Chopra Jonas swears by this style.
- Feathered and Flipped: Rocked by an oval face, this hairdo gives up major Farrah Fawcet flashbacks, taking us back to the ’70s. As the name suggests, keep your bangs long and soft, giving it this feel.
- Beachy Bob: Our personal favourite, have you drooled over Dua Lipa’s beachy hairstyle. It looks like she’s just had a dip in the ocean. The aim is to let your hair air dry and blend in ‘au naturale’ with your bangs.
- Wispy Love: Gigi Hadid’s viral wispy curtain bangs made us all want to emulate this style asap! Advisable for new-comers, this temple-length fringe will ease you into this exciting world of bangs.
- Half-Up, Half-Down, Hillary: Popularized by Hillary Duff, we’d like to call these versatile bangs so! Simply pull half your hair into a bun or a ponytail. It works wonders for curly hair too.
Seriously this list of inspiration goes on. To sign off, we hope you enjoyed reading this article. If you want to lease a new life into your hair, take the plunge ladies, and go for this elegant, vintage, yet playful vibe.