DRINKING WARM LEMON WATER WITH HONEY: A miraculous concoction?
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”- Hippocrates
Centuries ago, especially in the eastern cultures, people believed in the magical power of various foods when it came to their healing properties. In a country like India, where a large section of the population thrives on natural or holistic healing practices, it comes as no surprise that they follow certain practices and antidotes to reverse a particular disease or condition. Consuming warm lemon water with honey on empty stomach is just one of those ritualistic practices that has umpteen benefits.
For instance, using turmeric to heal a wound works wonders because it has antiseptic properties. We are sure that all you readers will be well acquainted with your grandparents giving you their quick fix home remedies for the smallest of your bodily (and even life) troubles. Or, if you are a travel junkie or a food lover, you would have realized that in the Chinese and Japanese cultures, they generally provide you with a warm or a cool potion to drink before and after your meals. Damn, we are totally missing our spa sessions, where they’d give us cool mint tea to relax our nerves before the rejuvenating experience.
But did you know that warm lemon water with honey is touted as an elixir of life, having many beneficial properties? From leading nutritionists to general physicians and exercise trainers, this concoction is on the top of their lists. Honey, as we all know, is a thick, sweet, yellow-brazen substance, which is produced by bees, while lemon is a citrus fruit. Both of them, have several antioxidant properties. Rich in Vitamin C and other energy-boosting minerals such as calcium and magnesium, this magical drink is to be had first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Honey acts as a natural sweetener too, satiating our sugar cravings. From fighting infections to skin troubles, this drink is not only delicious but has umpteen benefits for our mind, body, and soul.
HOW TO MAKE IT? – Warm Lemon Water with Honey
If you guys are tempted to make this miracle mix after reading this, then we have you sorted- read on to know how to make it so that you can effectively avail of all its properties.
- Prepare a glass of lukewarm water on the stove
- Add a teaspoon or two of superior quality organic honey to the warm water. (It is advisable to not boil the water, lest the honey loses its nutritional value).
- Squeeze half a lemon in the water
- Mix gently, and enjoy this soothing drink.
Our advice to you is to have it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach for it to work effectively.
Benefits of drinking warm WATER with LEMON AND HONEY
In an interview with NDTV Food, popular dermatologist, Dr. Sapna V Roshni cited, “Put together- honey, lemon, and water – makes for a great way to kick start your day,” Both, honey and lemon bring in their best properties, and amalgamate to provide a host of advantages, which are mentioned below.
1. Say goodbye to your weighty woes: Now, now, all shapes and sizes are beautiful! But for those, who want to shed a few kilos, this is a great way to kick start your journey. Studies suggest that increased water consumption helps to boost our metabolism. Also, since water fills up our stomachs, we can successfully control our food intake. Since honey is a natural sweetener and rich in amino acids, minerals, and vitamins, it enables the absorption of fat and cholesterol, thus, preventing weight gain. Mixing it with lemon proves to be a stellar anti-cellulite treatment. It also serves as a great substitute for high-calorie sodas or beverages, which also have hazardous effects.
2. Detox Away: If you are a fitness enthusiast, you would be well aware of incorporating this drink on an empty stomach, daily to kick start your day. Ever wondered why? Honey and lemon flush out toxins from your body regularly and regulate your bowel and urine output, which prevents other underlying lifestyle-related conditions such as constipation and acne. It makes for an excellent liver tonic and is a lauded diuretic.
3. Aids in Digestion: Adequate hydration is of paramount importance to maintain good health, free of digestive issues. Have you ever complained of constipation when you’re almost dehydrated? If yes, then it’s because sufficient fluid intake helps prevent constipation and keeps your stool soft. Research has shown that honey is compatible with the ‘friendly gut bacteria’, since it strengthens our digestive tract. Lemon, on the other hand, has similar atoms as the saliva and the hydrochloric acid of digestive juices. It helps to relieve symptoms of severe heartburn and acidity, belching, and bloating.
4. Boosts your immune system: Living in a polluted environment, this drink ensures a balanced, healthy life. Rich in various enzymes, minerals, and vitamins, raw honey ensures protection against bacteria, toxins, and allergens due to its antimicrobial properties. Lemons are high in Vitamin C and potassium. This helps in fighting common colds, sore throats and stimulates the brain and nerve functioning, respectively. Ascorbic properties found in lemons have anti-inflammatory powers while increasing iron absorption. This is an adjunct to asthma or other respiratory issues, thereby elevating your immune system. It can also prevent bodily pains and flu-like symptoms in an individual. Rich in PH levels, lemons keep your body alkaline and reduces allergies. Lastly, ladies, it also helps ease the period cramps.
5. Skincare Solution: Are you prone to getting pimples and acne often? If yes, you just need to follow this simple recipe for your marvel miracle! With increased pollution and exposure to toxins or UV rays and hormonal imbalances, our skin often becomes the breeding ground for breakouts. Drinking 2 to 3 cups of warm, lemon and honey water daily, will kill the unwanted bacteria, and make your face soft and supple. It will give you a natural glow, and some sources believe that it may fight age.
6. Energizing and Rejuvenating: By combining the electrolytes of lemon and the micro-elements within raw honey, provides an instant shot of energy after prolonged dehydration periods. Think about it- don’t you generally have this energy infuser after a bout of vomiting or diarrhea. A common recurrence today, this wondrous drink helps to cure a hangover after an incessant night of partying or to refresh you after a strenuous workout. It replenishes the necessary sugar, keeping your blood pressure and sugar levels within range. Who needs Red Bull, when you have such a vigorous alternative?
Did your jaws just drop for a moment? Yes, it is true- the honey-lemon blend nourishes our hair, making it silky, voluminous, and lustrous. What’s more is that it is a great alternative to shampoo, especially to eradicate dandruff and hair loss, since it suffuses the necessary moisture and nutrients to the scalp.
With this divine revelation or reminder to our lovely readers, we hope you are all pumped up to try this effortless hack to solve any of your related concerns. And, to tempt y’all further, we have another surprise- this drink also helps enhancing our moods and helps us sleep better. It sounds like heaven in today’s stress induced world and insomniac tendencies, right? This is because this drink helps secretes serotonin in our brain, which regulates these functions and further relaxes us.
As a parting advice, like everything else, practice this trend in moderation as excessive lemon can erode your teeth. Well, going back to our childhood, Winnie the Pooh had imminent abilities, “Because although eating honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn’t know how to explain it.”- A.A. Milne.