GOLDEN GLOBES 2021: Celebrity Fashion at the 'Virtual Red Carpet'
“In difficult times, fashion is always outrageous.” —Elsa Schiaparelli
When the pandemic struck us at the beginning of 2020, the world came to a flabbergasting standstill. From our ‘busy as bee’ lifestyles, we all learned to pause, relax and reflect. We witnessed umpteen changes to our lifestyle such as work from home and even digitization of almost everything. This new ‘virtual reality’ helped us all to pick up the pieces and return to normalcy, globally.
Now, now! If movies can be released over several ‘OTT’ platforms, why can’t we celebrate their felicitation online to commemorate their blood, sweat, and labour that goes behind entertaining us? And, that was the spirit that was upheld on 28th February 2021 at the 78th ANNUAL GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS. Following social distancing norms, most of the Hollywood film fraternity joined in on this gala from the comfort of their homes, online. Juxtaposing the cute pyjama vibe, H-O-L-L-Y-W-O-O-D embraced the new normal; upped their A-game, and seriously dressed to impress. And, we commoners and fashion enthusiasts had our tongues wagging in awe- what a shimmering feast to our sore eyes, right?
As popular fashion and beauty expert, Natalie Sexton rightly told TMZ, the unsaid Pantone equivalent colours of this season were ‘50 shades of pink’ and sunflower-like yellow. Emanating their frisky and exuberant, yet ‘damn to glam’ side, most celebrities went for vibrant shaded couture creations. And, there were some bold and beautiful; electrifying (in the literal sense) featured looks on boss women and men, staying true to their personality.
For the unaware, to honour this occasion, a side note for you readers-‘Nomadland’,’ Borat subsequent Movie film’ and ‘The Queen’s Gambit’, stole the show, our hearts and heaps of awards too.
Best Dressed vs the Underdressed – GOLDEN GLOBES 2021
We’ve arrived at the moment that you all lovelies have been waiting for with bated breath- our picks for those celebrities who had their fashion game on point, and those who could have done better. As you will see, the three unarticulated themes and motifs were to dress straight out of a fairytale, or go back to the decadent Victorian and Edwardian era of ‘Romanticism’ and opulence, and lastly old-school Hollywood; flaunting some exciting retro vibes.
Read on to know our take on the celebrity fashion that was on display with full pomp and buzz at the virtual ‘GOLDEN GLOBES 2021’.
1. ELLE FANNING: Nominated for her role in Hulu’s ‘The Great’, Fanning looked regal! Reviving her modern take on the ‘Grace Kelley Glamour’, she had the style-barometer heating up incredulously. Her powder-blue, slinky satin GUCCI dress with dramatic cape detail and a pooling train was just out of this world. Complimented by the vintage pieces from Fred Leighton’s collection-diamond and platinum tassel earrings, natural pearl and diamond bracelet from 1915, and platinum pinky ring from the 1920s, along with her sleek hairdo and classic makeup, made her the best-dressed artiste of the night.
2. AMANDA SEYFRIED: Nominated for ‘Mank’, Seyfried was definitely a vision to behold. Exuding her retro flair, her coral-hued OSCAR DE LA RENTA number was resplendent. The featured taffeta crafted flowers, on her off-shouldered, plunging neckline made her look like a beautiful piece of art that could be stared at for hours together. Her drop earrings and the mermaid’s hair gave the ultra-feminine classic red carpet poised look.
3. ANYA TAYLOR – JOY: Not only did she win accolades for making chess look uber cool in ‘The Queen’s Gambit’, and the obvious win over the weekend, but she was soon touted as a fashion favourite. Looking dainty, yet edgy in this Custom DIOR COUTURE emerald hue gown against her platinum blonde hair and porcelain skin with supple makeup, she gave old Hollywood a contemporary twist. The plunging gown was matching with an overcoat, heels, and divine jewels by Tiffany & Co. We love!
4. JAMIE LEE CURTIS: Giving the young guns, a run for their style (and age), the Freaky Friday star was definitely one of the best-dressed contenders of the evening. Adorning a stellar ALEX PERRY design featuring long-slightly puffed sleeves a plunging neckline and pleating at the waist, she looked ethereal and graceful in this gorgeous bold yellow number. She went minimalistic with her makeup, and let her attire do all the talking.
5. CYNTHIA ERVIO: Embracing the risk, Cynthia Ervio courageously donned a neon green VALENTINO Haute couture creation, which was right off the recent Paris runway. Honing the ‘Back to the Future’ vibe in IRL Red carpet, this daring number with all the athleisure feels in the scuba fabric, and body-skimming piping paid off gallantly. Voluminous and eye-catching with an exaggerated full skirt (hello Queen Victoria), her gown was paired with Wempe earrings and a diamond septum ring. Her silver, skyscraper heels and white opera gloves added that extra oomph. Unconventional, but the fashion police in us are raving.
6. GAL GADOT: Adorning a GIVENCHY white mini dress with sheer sleeves, cape-like detail, and an ‘angelic baby doll vibe’, we were quite disappointed with her garb. The delicate 48-carat emerald-cut bi-color zoisite set in 18k yellow gold amidst nearly one thousand Tiffany diamonds, and complimenting solitaires were the only accessories that worked in her favour. Her simple sparkly sandals gave us the ‘let’s go for a quiet brunch vibe’. For us, she definitely did not dress to impress.
7. TINA FEY: Wearing a tuxedo-style VERSACE mini dress, the co-host for the night, Tina Fey, definitely slew and redefined this classic look. She gave razor-sharp vibes with satin lapels, tights, and pointy-toe Brian Atwood pumps, with minimalistic makeup and pulled-down hair. Even though she played it safe, we were not completely underwhelmed.
8. AMY POEHLER: The other half of the dynamic ‘Women in Black’ duo and co-host, Amy Poehler brought the bling and spunk to the red carpet with this black sequinned MOSCHINO Dress, with gold hardware. Donning jewellery from Meijuri and Guizeppe Zanoti platforms, she complimented her co-host wonderfully. For us, though she has done much better in the past.
9. ANDRA DAY: Going for the win (pun intended) for her iconic character in Hulu’s The United States vs. Billie Holiday, Day definitely was the showstopper in this semi see-through illusion; elongated, clinging, soft grey gown consisting of intricate detailing- sequin macramé bodice, embroidered embellishing, a haltered neckline, and a sashaying tulle skirt. Her stunning accessories included Chanel Brins de Diamante earrings, Legende de Blé bracelet, and a combination of the Commanding, Lion Astral, and Coco Crush rings.
10. REGINA KING: Nominated in the Best Director category, King outshone most others in the cut-out black and silver LOUIS VUITTON Gown, which accentuated her silhouette gracefully. Her look was replete with Forever Mark jewellery, spot-on makeup, and side partitioned hair. Well, hello stunner!
11. JULIA GARNER: Getting back the raging 20’s, her cream flapper-toned frock with a black plunging front, entwined beading, and a drop waist, brought back the ‘loose’ style surreally. Double cuffs, and dewy makeup with the bold red lipstick, made her a jaw-dropping PRADA (Edwardian) muse. She sizzled for us!
12. KALEY CUOCO: Having her Cinderella moment in this princess, strapless and embellished, grey OSCAR DE LA RENTA gown, Cuoco left her locks down in soft waves. She just looked marvellous, and there were hints of the Victorian era in her.
13. ANTHONY ANDERSON: Don’t we all love well-groomed men? Anthony Anderson looked dapper in his DOLCE & GABBANA ensemble. Be it the sexy Chopard broach to his trendy loafers, he pulled the look with socks with great aplomb.
14. SOFIA CARSON: Wearing a GIAMBATTISTA VALLI gown, Carson did not dress to slay. The colour combination of eggplant and pink did not appeal to us, and the high octane drama with the trail and the puffed hair did not work for us. To top it all, the giant bow was too overwhelming. However, she rocked the Diana Kemp earrings.
15. DAN LEVY: Schitt’s Creek, fan favourite nailed the zealous yellow VALENTINO suit with a sequinned top and metallic shoes to match. Redefining men’s couture, we loved how he steered away from the classic and owned this casual, yet festive and this eccentric look. We are drooling, period!
To sign off, we hope you had quite the visual treat. While there were many others whose outfits were either a hit or a miss, these few people stood out to us. Rating some icons like Jane Fonda would be unfair, and so no comparison can be made for such stalwarts. Do let us know in the comments section below if you loved a celebrity’s look that we might have missed to mention.