CELEBRITIES IN KAFTANS: The new stay-at-home uniform
If the past year was about adorning the snug pyjama look while being locked up in our houses, the present scenario has been attributed to upping our fashion game. Since, we’re back to the ‘stay at home’ life, while we continue to battle the horrors of the pandemic, haven’t we evolved as people over time? And, so be it with our fashion choices! While we may miss the hustle-bustle of our daily lives, we as global citizens feel more prepared to carry on with our work and aspirations to the best of our capabilities.
But, hey, don’t we miss dressing up in our corporate suits and tight-fit stylish garments, which equates to are power dressing ethos? All we can say is this boss woman dressing has been truly redefined in a way that enables us to enjoy the best of both worlds.
Which of you, dearies, raised an eyebrow in eagerness to know more about the same? Well, we won’t build the suspense for you, and let you know right away. Who wouldn’t want to wear an outfit that looks effortlessly chic, yet comfortable at the same time? Feels like a slice of heaven, right?
Trust a kaftan to do just that! Parading our social media feeds, a number of celebrities and style icons have been donning these flowing gowns, setting some major goals for their adulating fans.
WHAT IS A KAFTAN?
Gone are the athleisure home-bound days. The newest Coronial (as we call it) #OOTD trend in town is this Persian, Middle Eastern pull-over, kaftan, which can transcend from a ‘just got out of my bed’ stance to a dinner party aura with some wine and cheese. Who’s getting some major Sex and the City vibes, with the style queen, Sarah Jessica Parker, strolling around Abu Dhabi in her glamorous avatar?
In fact, you’ll be surprised to know that kaftans have been a Hollywood staple since the 1960’s. But, what really constitutes this wondrous piece of clothing? A traditional kaftan or a caftan is an ankle-flowing garment with long, flowing sleeves. Originally a long buttoned up robe, worn by men, this garb was revamped to fit a woman’s silhouette. With a number of ways to wear this, this clothing is a super versatile piece. With a tie-up at the waist, a woman can effervescently and gracefully show her curves, while the sleeves are free-flowing.
Originating from the Mesopotamian era, this Islamic trendsetter mainly catered to ancient royalty, fabricated from rich textiles, replete with intricate embroidery. From Bohemian chic to a glimmering soiree, this piece looks ravishing.
#KAFTANLIFE: What makes it a must have this season?
The scorching summer heat is upon us, and so is the time ripe to wear some ethereal, eye-catching clothing. Even though we are lounging around and hustling from our cosy abodes, we need to spunk it up every now and then! And, with the kaftan, you can rest reassured to achieve this goal. As we are determined to convince you to get your hands on this easy-breezy robe, we’ve made a potential list of value adding points for you guys!
The brand ambassador of the #kaftanseries, our OG diva, Kareena Kapoor Khan’s iconic dialogue from her cult film comes to mind when we lay our eyes on this oh-so-roomy ensemble. It truly is filled with “Good looks! Good looks and good looks!” galore! Making us feel pleasant throughout the day, we can go about conquering our dreams in this serenading, yet easy-breezy number.
The kaftan’s “one size fits all” design makes it a natural and an inclusive choice for women of all body types and sizes. Pretty empowering, don’t you think so? With a lot of designs and prints to choose from, this super versatile piece is vibrant and playful. Irrespective of you preferring sartorial light hues, or the bold, boisterous prints, there’s something for everyone!
From embellished threads and colourful beads to funky and abstract designer prints, this one garment has many ways of being styled, while retaining its cultural signature style. Satiating our desi feels, with a thunderous revelation to the fashion world, this close to our culture costume can be styled and designed keeping in mind our Indian wedding festivities. Imagine turning heads in this unique, unconventional kaftan during a mehendi or a pool party. Did we just hear a resounding ‘brilliant’ out there?
Fit to be worn in all seasons, 365 days in a tropical country like India, need we convince you lovelies, more? From the mansions of the haute couture maven Yves Saint Laurent to the thrift stores of Delhi, this unifying ensemble epitomizes elegance and class.
Contrary to the adage, “beauty is pain”, a kaftan proves just the opposite.
Speaking about diversity, a kaftan can be worn for numerous occasions. Haha, did you even think about different ethnicities and races. Well, you’re not wrong! Be it the African men and women, to the Middle East and beyond, this apparel is becoming quite the rage today. Old is truly new, isn’t it?
Style Diaries 101 – CELEBRITIES IN KAFTANS
Now, now! Get your fashionista wings out, you belles. This gorgeous, awe-dropping piece has travelled from the Oscar’s and the Emmy’s award extravaganza’s to the crystal clear blue waters by the white sandy beaches in Maldives with equal gravitas and aplomb. But, first, let’s understand how multifaceted this outfit truly is.
1. Night suit: Move over granny nighties and matching pyjamas because the novel ‘it’ sleepwear is the kaftans. Breathable and airy, while being super lose, you are bound to get your eight-hours beauty sleep in this marvel, only to wake up and rock that flawless glow.
2. Casual chic: Whether you’re going for a grocery run, finishing off some errands or catching up with your bestie over an afternoon cup of coffee, wear a full length, or the more youthful above the knee kaftan dress, and pair it up a tote or a shoulder bags and your pair of best mules. If you want to dress it up, go for your killer heels, ladies. Additionally, imagine how dapper you’d look in a more modern, androgynous coord-set?
3. High-Fashion Moment: A formal reception. Dinner soiree. Wedding cocktail. Clubbing night. Yes, these are just some of the grand occasions; you can spice up your kaftan vibe. Be it a heavily embellished, slightly fitted sophisticated piece, a candlelit or a well-groomed dinner with your better half, business associates or friends, a kaftan can be styled in varied and simplistic (but not really) ways. Trust a kaftan inspired outfit to rock your best friend’s wedding merriment or to relive your college nights while painting the town red whilst letting our hair down (quite literally).
4. Resort wear: Beach, please!! Who want to run away to this serene place, atm? We surely do! Imagine wearing it over your bikini, while tanning amidst some sun and sea, or just strutting around in your breath-taking property, in this easy-breezy ensemble with your sandals.
5. Maternity Wear: A perfect, comfort wear for a mother-to be, who is housing her loveliest creation in her womb for nine months, while she runs to her doctor’s appointments or other chores, easily.
6. Work Wear: Irrespective of you being a creative soul or a corporate honcho, this boat neck, bell sleeve marvel will surely make you stand out in the crowd.
Damn, amazing right!! Minis or midis, we believe this wonder woman apparel is here to stay.
CELEBRITIES SLAYING THE KAFTAN LIFE
These much revered powerhouse of talents, have since ages been giving us some #ootdstylegoals. Generations have come and gone, but this trend of celebrity emulation is eternal. So, let’s look at our unbeatable, fiery influencers, who have slayed this look and how! Presenting some of the most loved celebrities in kaftans looks.
- KAREENA KAPOOR KHAN: Ranveer Singh posted it alright, “Bebo didn’t choose the #kaftanlife, the #kaftanlife chose her.” Being her idea of couture, she has donned it on several occasions during her pregnancy, giving the new mommas to be some inspiration.
- SONAM KAPOOR AHUJA: Taking us through these modern times, she has rocked a shirt like kaftan effortlessly.
- SONAKSHI SINHA: We totally loved her interpretation of the East meets the East in a scintillating Indian number. The Bold Type, much?
- MALAIKA ARORA: This ‘Chaiya chaiya’ starlet is not far behind her best-friend in making our heads turn in awe.
- NEHA DHUPIA: She has fearlessly broken several stereotypes and changed her talk-show look in countless, colourful and debonair kaftans.
- PRIYANKA CHOPRA JONAS: This global icon, has truly lived up to her East meets the West trajectory by wearing a suggestive sky blue Ricky Owen kaftan cinced at the waist for her Cannes appearance.
- DIA MIRZA: You can count on this beautiful actress and activist to change the world in her scintillating kaftans.
- HILLARY CLINTON: Attending state affairs and making it big in politics, she knows how to rock the kaftan looks.
- THE KARDASHIAN – JENNER CLAN: From jet-setting across the world to making waves in tinsel town, Kris Jenner and her daughters Kim, Kourtney and Kylie heat up the style barometer every time they step out.
- GOLDIE HAWN: This yesteryear actress still has it in her to stay relevant with her warrior like kaftan picks.
Clearly, you dearies have got a solid idea of how eminent this apparel is today. ‘Scintillating. Dazzling. Resplendent’. We’d definitely use these adjectives to describe it best! Tempted to purchase your kaftan now? Well, just head over to our list of top recommended designers and stores to splurge, pronto.
Our Go-to Kaftan Connoisseurs
Worried about how exclusive or affordable you’d want your personal oh-so- pleasant outfit to be? Do not fret, for we have you sorted through several price ranges. From top designers to budgeted options, you can stay rest assured to jump onto this stylistic bandwagon.
Whether you are in the mood to pamper yourself, and indulge in the fashion crème de la crème, or want to go for a mellow, happy-go lucky, budget-friendly options, these array of designers and boutiques will thoroughly appease your sensibilities.
To sign off, who is ready to take out their debit cards and go on a virtual shopping excursion? All we’d like to say is enjoy and happy shopping.