WHAT IS SQUALANE OIL and what makes it so good for your skin?
“Skincare is healthcare.”- Anonymous
Which of you beauties abide by this notion? Our guesses point towards most of y’all. In an era where we pay equal attention to our skincare and beauty regimes as we probably would to our fashion-nova lifestyles, we simply want the best. And, is it wrong to ask for the same? Hell, no! Let’s not forget that our skin is the most important accessory that we’ll be flaunting till eternity.
Well, well! It’s not a new discovery that natural resources act as major suppliers of raw materials, which helps us show-off, that radiant glowing skin. From aloe vera hacks to rose water coolants, our Mother earth is a reservoir abounding with rich extracts and properties. Now, one such ingredient, which has received great prominence in the coming years due to its many properties, is squalane, mainly derived from squalene extracts. Confused much? Is this going a tad bit over your head? Fret not, you dearies! We shall simplify it for you, pronto! And, are you wondering what’s in this for you? We promise you’d emerge on the other side, a skincare guru- learning about some of their tantalizing benefits, and how magical it can be to get that smooth and supple skin.
WHAT IS SQUALANE OIL?
Have you ever scanned through the list of ingredients given at the back of any cosmetic product, and come across the word, “squalane”? Yes, most of it may sound gibberish to us, but this ingredient is definitely not worth forgetting.
Our skin has an inbuilt moisturizing mechanism, which replenishes our skin with essential oils and keeps it adequately hydrated. This lipid profile known as ‘squalene’ is naturally produced by our skin cells. Touted to be at its peak throughout our teenage years, it declines in our 20’s and 30’s.
Think about it, don’t we tend to complain of drier skin around that same time? So, how can we substitute this nutrient in order to retain our youthful zest and vigor?
Furthermore, squalene is not only present in humans but is most popularly found in sharks’ livers as well. One of the primary reasons for overfishing, these species provide a global majority of this hydrating substance. Profound research has also shown that this age-reversing elixir can be obtained through several plants and crop extracts such as olive oil, amaranth oil and sugarcane among others. Can we thunderously applaud the efforts of scientists and conservationists to go green and sustainable, thereby, supporting the endangered marine environment?
Squalene, or shark liver oil, however, in its raw form loses its efficacy after a while, and its nutritive properties are lost, thanks to its oxidation. To retain its mystic effects, it needs to undergo a process of hydrogenation. A world-renowned cosmetologist, Dr. Mason explained in an interview that it basically means, “Treating it with hydrogen to give it a non-reactive, saturated structure. That structure makes it great for inclusion in hydrating products for your skin or on its own as a gentle natural moisturizer.”
This derivative substance, therefore, proves to be more stable and consists of a lighter consistency than squalene. A highly effective emollient and natural antioxidant, this potion can prevent wrinkles, eliminate scars, reverse UV damage, lighten freckles and erase skin pigmentation. As an added bonus, it can also be used for spot treatment. Do you lovelies think it’s too good to be true? Well, read on further to continue being awe-strung.
SKIN TYPE WOES: SQUALANE TO YOUR RESCUE!
Do you worry about a particular beauty product not sitting well because your skin is incredulously oily or acne-prone, dry like a desert or a combination of all skin types? If that’s your concern, just relax- this miraculous mix works wonders on all skin types. Dr. Mason continued to quip, “Because it is such light oil, you won’t get the same heaviness other oils have, and it can be used both morning and night. Squalane can also be a great base for a variety of skincare products because it is so light and absorbent and will still have some great applications when combined with other actives”. A double-whammy, isn’t it?
It’s potency by now is loud and clear. Read on to explore why it is so loved among one and all.
- Sensitive skin: It’s gentle effect emulates our natural oils, thereby helping to alleviate any sorts of discomfort, reduce redness, eczema or rosacea, all while providing a calming sensation.
- Oily skin: Since it helps to balance oils, this marvel reduces the production of oil, and maintains sebum secretion. Consequently, it won’t clog pores, and you can happily say goodbye to acne and breakouts.
- Dry Skin: In this case, squalane balances oil production for the dry skin, and helps to retain the skin moisture whilst staying hydrated and luminous.
- Combination Skin: Helping your skin maintain homeostasis, it enables functions according to the need of the skin at any given moment.
Need we sing praises about its excellence, anymore?
HOW TO USE THIS NATURAL MOISTURIZER: SQUALANE OIL?
Now, now! We’re all aware that once processed squalane is effectively used in the form of oil. Due to its feather-like lightness, it refreshes and feeds the skin with essential components. While several dermatologists vouch using it in its complete 100 % form, many recommend blending it with numerous ingredients, which make a power-packed team. Some of which are as follows:
- Squalane and retinol: This combined formula nourishes your skin and the squalane enables the retinol to remain stable in the presence of oxygen.
- Squalane and Vitamin C: This confluence smoothens, brightens and enhances the skin’s external defenses.
- Squalane in body butter: Working in conjunction with other humectants such as shea and jojoba butters, you can bid adios to your dry skin troubles.
Coming to the bit, which makes us beauty enthusiasts squeal in excitement, just like other applications, squalane should be incorporated into our zen-like skinvestment time. All you need to is:
- Cleanse your skin
- Use a toner
- Put on a serum
- Spray a few drops of this oil on your fingertips, and gently massage your face and neck while applying it.
- Apply sunscreen (if this is your morning routine).
Who’s ecstatic and willing to try it out, ASAP? We surely are!
BENEFITS OF USING SQUALANE OIL
- It delineates the appearance of fine lines: Helping to nurture your skin, squalane extends a more youthful look and texture. Minimizes any strength lines or wrinkles, you can be rest assured of looking like you’ve had the best sleep of your life; like a vibrant and a blossomed soul.
- It moisturizes skin: Well, hello, here’s again reiterating its powerful lingering effects! Making it look healthy, this oil balances your skin requirements perfectly.
- It softens texture: Thanks to its lightweight demeanour, and hydrating and antioxidant properties, this oil can probably give the brand, Johnson’s Baby a run for its money, producing similar supple, childlike skin. Over time, it can help reduce open pores and other spots on your skin.
- A calming reinforcer: Its anti-inflammatory properties help to reduce any skin-related concerns from acne to blemishes to itching and swelling. An all-in-one skincare healer, what say? Cooling down the skin, it helps us be worry-free (pun intended) and keeps our allergic reactions at bay.
- It’s non-comedogenic: Greatly hailed for this hallmark, it prevents the clogging of pores and keeps the skin cleansed and hydrated, therefore decreasing any environmental adhesives to enter and penetrate into the skin.
- Fades out the dark spots: Squalane assists in improving the appearance of our skin tone, aka its enduring antioxidant qualities. This further illuminates our skin and fades the look of these dark spots.
- Oil mechanism: Since it is similar to our natural oils, squalane mimics are skin’s natural sebum. Our body recognizes it as naturally occurring oil and produces less on its own to the relief of those prone to oily skin.
- Hair-care fascination: Doesn’t skin and hair-care go together, hand in hand (or head to body, if we may say)? Squalane recharges the hair with moisture, which may be lost due to increased heat, chemicals, and age, weather and dietary conditions. It prevents breakage and hair fall and restores the original luster and volume of those locks.
SQUALANE, THE SENSATION: WHICH PRODUCTS USE THIS WONDER?
In today’s times, squalane is considered the hottest ingredient in skincare. Gravitating towards a more vegan and cruelty-free approach, this constituent is making all the right noises and winning hearts. India, too, promotes and manufactures squalane cleansers and oils such as:
- Forever Earth
- Neemli Naturals
- Raw Beauty
- The Derma Co.
Trust us, the list goes on. Super effective, squalane oil is definitely worth a buy, making you want to pamper your skin. And, rightly deserved!
To sign off, this is it for today, lovelies! How many of you all are researching, looking for your best squalane bet, as we speak? Haha, happy shopping! All we’d like to say is that while these products are amazing to rejuvenate your skin, keep yourself happy and content, for that is your biggest go-to mantra for wholesome, gleaming skin.