An Open Letter to all CURVY INDIAN BRIDES: 6 things to keep in mind
A glorious hello to all you blushing brides to be! At some point in our lives, we women, probably as young girls brimming with a childlike candour or youthful spirit would have envisioned a fairy tale wedding for ourselves. How many of us have imagined a splendour-filled affair with our loved ones in all its gravitas, whilst being set against a jaw-dropping mountainous, palatial or beachside locale? Well, we surely have. And, the aura of an Indian wedding; be it the quintessential, ‘Big Fat’ lavish nuptials or the intimate soirees are unmatched!
Now, now! What is the most important aspect of planning a wedding, apart from, of course, saying yes to a union? As soon as the dates are decided, families of the bride and groom start focussing on the details, especially the bridal trousseau. From scouting or locking in on designers to even jewellery, it can be quite an overwhelming task. In a society like ours, which has always promoted the lean ideal and size zero norms, it can be quite disheartening for someone who possesses a curvy or a plus-size figure. To all those who relate, let’s not take away from the most exhilarating experience of your life. Always remember that ‘Happy brides are the prettiest’. Your inner glow is all that matters.
If you are someone who is conscious of their body image, did you know that most Indian women are curvaceous in actuality translating into a curvy Indian brides eventually? Do not believe us? It’s true, you beauties! But we believe that it’s quite a great time to be living in when it comes to accepting and challenging the stereotypes of the broader society. From fights to achieve gender equality to empowerment, today’s courageous women are making all the right noises. The fashion world too has accepted that ‘all sizes are beautiful’, and are becoming more inclusive by including strong, independent women, who are not merely seen as ‘fat’ or ‘chubby’, but are curvy and know how to accentuate their assets. Blessings galore, isn’t it?
With the world at large becoming more relaxed in their mindset, more emphasis is laid on the personality of an individual. Keeping the personal characteristics in mind, isn’t their choice of clothing an extension of their personality? A big, absolute yes! If you’re a curvy India bride to be and are trying to take on the arduous task of going on a crash diet, to shed some extra kgs, then immediately stop! Firstly, re-evaluate your reasoning for the same, and start eating healthy. Secondly, your personality and glow are what makes you, you! So, embrace that and your marvellous body, letting out a tribute of gratitude. And, when it comes to styling your outfit, to enable flaunting or concealing that extra flab, and then fret you not, we are here to your rescue!
Here are our six tips to slay your wedding look, and exude the gorgeousness and fun that screams of you:
1. KNOW YOUR BODY TYPE : The outfits that you don on your D-day and several festivities leading up to it should be in tandem of your body type. Let us tell you that contrary to popular belief, all styles may not suit a petite frame. If you’re someone who is ‘voluptuous’ in varying degrees, you may be able to carry a particular cut very gracefully. For someone who is top-heavy or apple-shaped, opt for a slightly plunging neckline, but not super deep, to show the right amount of your cleavage; maybe, a U or V neckline could make you look ravishing. If your arms are on the slightly heavier side, then you can select a design with full or three-forth sleeves. It exudes class, style and conceals your structure beautifully. For the bottom-heavy or pear-shaped lassies, an A-line silhouette for your lehenga or other traditional garbs is your best bet. For all those who feel bloated often, adorn exquisite blouses, which end right before the naval with minimal skin show. If your heart is set on particular clothing, do give it a try, but also be realistic. And trust us, how you feel on the inside is shown on the outside. You are a stunner, and go be the glimmering star, you truly are!
The quientessential Curvy Indian Brides
2. COLOUR : One common misconception that we ladies believe in is that weddings are full of colour, pomp and grandeur. Well, although true to some extent, our Instagram captures have proved testimony to the fact that minimalist and simplistic décor ideas are heart-warming as well. Stretching to our fashionista moments, an increasing number of brides are now ditching the traditional ‘Blood Red’ attire for more contemporary, fuss-free options. Surprisingly, this works as an added bonus for a well-endowed bride too. Confused much? While people go for darker, richer colours to conceal their bulk, you can now even move to lighter, pastel hues in monochrome shades. While either of the blends looks lovely, always avoid a burst of a few colours. Rather, opt for two similar mellow shades together, or have one statement hue.
3. JEWELLERY : Our Indian weddings are pretty eponymous with bespoke, heritage and magnificent pieces of jewellery. Such finery is what uplifts an entire look. Imagine a marvellous, poised bride walking down the aisle in her awe-stringing lehenga, replete with layers of necklaces, a maang tika, nath and beauteous earrings. Hey, and let’s forget her numerous bangles, the very essence of our culture. Will she not be a vision to behold? Popularized by jewellery designers and vogue trends, brides today, desire a more regal look, which is achieved through layering. A perfect solution for a curvy bride, she can team an intricately crafted dangler falling under her bust with a cleavage-dropping neckpiece. We personally recommend the more conventional jadhaav or polka designs, which metes out an innate sense of richness. A choker on the other hand, may not be an ideal choice for those who are fuller, since they may make their necks look shorter, thereby looking disproportionate. Giving us classic Sabyasachi vibes, why going a little unconventional and slaying a waist belt; alchemy of old with new?
4. FABRICS AND EMBROIDERIES MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE : With a wide array of options to choose from, our advice to you is to choose fabrics, that enable a flattering silhouette. Smooth and flowing fabrics such as georgette, chiffon, and net, soft silk and satin are our ideal picks. Not only do they look rich and classy, but they’re uber comfortable as well. Stiff fabrics such as tussar silk, cotton and velvet tend to make you look heavier and broader, killing the entire purpose. Well, don’t we want outfits that hit and show all our assets with panache?
Additionally, we believe that less can be more, but detailed embroideries and decorative motifs often add to the look than take away from it. It helps to identify the right parts of your body and incorporate these godsend hacks to look ethereal. It steals everyone’s attention to the attractive outfit while making you look thin and tall.
6. STYLIST DIARIES : Worried that your figure restricts your outfit options? Well, dearies, do not fret. Gone are the days when everyone believed that only petite frames could carry anything and everything. A dismayed notion, there is a sea of options for the curvy belle to choose from. Our Indian stunner, the six-yard saree binds one and all, looking equally majestic on all body types. By adding a pre-draped or a pre-stitched twist to it, while playing around with free-flowing fabrics and designs, a young woman can epitomize revamped elegance.
You can further frolic around with your draping, and add another complimenting dupatta to add some extra oomph. While lehengas are the go-to pheras outfit, be careful of the length of your blouse. In case of an Indian curvy bride, the more covered the better. If you are not superconscious and have a flatter mid-riff, you can probably go for an under-bust blouse and a mid-waisted lehenga with cut sleeves. For an evening engagement, sangeet or reception, you can even wear a royal gown, which is more flowing, but well-fitted. Ready for some glitz and glam, are you? Do not go out on a bling fiesta, rather keep it more subdued. Creating a harmonious balance between the former two is the phenomenal, floor-length Anarkalis. It screams of being a la mode, high-toned and bang-on. If you want to add some edge and spunk, try out shararas, which can turn out to be incredulously chic. Ace designers like Amit Agarwal, Sabyasachi, Papa Don’t Preach by Shubhika and Abhinav Mishra among others will leave you spoilt for choice.
7. THE FINISHING TOUCHES : No bridal look is complete without some eye-catching hairdo and makeup. For someone who has a rounder face, go for a voluminous hairdo such as a puffed side braid, beach waves let down or a bun. This will enhance your look and will level your face. Go for more natural makeup, and do not forget to contour your face. Most importantly, just wear that million-watt smile of yours to the fullest, for your smile is your biggest accessory.
So, lovelies! While we hope that we have addressed a few of your wedding woes, it’s time for some much impending pearls of wisdom. You are wonderful and worthy just the way you are. While you may want to look your stylish best, stay coherent with yourself, and include comfort since you want to enjoy your wedding fiesta to the fullest. You will be making merry, dancing the night away, and alluringly saying your vows, all while creating a million memories. Believe it or not, it is a hectic affair, and you want to be and feel like the dazzler you truly are. To sign off, all we’d like to say is that be self-confident, for that is the new sexy! Worship it and treat your body with all the love you have to give.