8 BEST SHAMPOOS free from Sulfates and Parabens
Over the past few years, majorly all hair experts have been shouting off their rooftops and promoting healthier hair care practices. This makes us wonder if this shift towards sustainability is a boon in more than one way. Well, hello beauty lovers! Hope you’re having a stellar day! Irrespective of you honing your hair care game, or being an amateur, you definitely are at the right place at the right time.
Our wish to have great hair does not come as a glaring revelation of truth- it’s ‘au natural’. In the era of styling our hair in innumerable ways for any occasion, we expose our follicles to umpteen numbers of chemicals and irritants. Just as is the way of life, anything artificial always starts acting up in the long run, be it on the environment or our mysterious bodies. Sadly, the lines of overdoing any regime have become blurred today.
One such fad that has been trending of late is to boycott sulfate and paraben-free shampoos and to substitute it with healthier, more natural alternatives. Doesn’t this take us back to the olden times, when our forefathers used home remedies to cure any ailments that they suffered from? Shampoos are a daily necessity of our lives, so it becomes of paramount importance to use the best products.
Before jumping onto this chemical-zilch bandwagon, let’s understand the buzz behind sulfates and parabens.
What are sulfates and parabens?
Do you sometimes feel like your hair quality has withered? If yes, you’d be surprised to know that it’s also about making a few modifications.
Chemicals basically used in soaps and shampoos, sulfates are surfactants, which speed up the cleaning effect of the product and strip away oil and grime. Parabens, on the other hand, are used as preservatives in water-based grooming products to prevent the growth of bacteria and fungi. On the flip side, though, sulfates tend to give you dry skin and hair, as the oil is eradicated from the surface, causing irritation to the eyes, skin and scalp. And, what’s worse, it leads to tremendous hair fall. Sounds awful, right? It can harm the lungs too in the long run. Parabens are known to cause intense allergies and dermatitis, especially in children. Acting as an endocrine disruptor, they can cause hormonal imbalances in the body, and worse, breast cancers and tumors.
Now, now! We do not intend to worry you or compel you to change your products drastically. But, isn’t it better to know the pros and cons, and then make an informed decision? Your ‘litmus’ test to recognize the presence of these hazardous chemicals is to simply see if your shampoo lathers. If affirmed, then you have your answer. Although to check for the existence of parabens, you may simply have to trust the ingredients list.
As a side note, beware of the terms sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) being mentioned on your ingredients list. They are the key identifiers of sulfates being present and are in fact, subsets of the same.
What are the benefits of sulfates or paraben free shampoos?
Well, we’d like to apologize if we’ve encumbered you with some technical jargon. Coming back to our beauteous lingo, a fitter substitute is to use shampoos that are free of primary surfactants. Like their chemically-induced counterparts, they too, effectively cleanse the scalp, while retaining the nutritive properties and moisture of our hair. Clearly, a win-win situation, what say? Read on to know more about its advantageous properties.
- Apart from retaining the natural moisture of the hair, these shampoos enhance the luster and softness of the hair.
- If you don’t colour your hair, the sulfate and paraben-free hair cleansers are your best friends. Not only are they gentle, but they vow to not strip the colour off your hair as easily.
- Much milder in their ingredients constitution, these marvels can help you control scalp inflammation.
- What’s more is that sulfate-free shampoos are also gentle on the eyes, thereby, not producing an unpleasant burning sensation.
- They are environmental friendly, thanks to being made of plant extracts.
- They work miracles for those who have dry, frizzy or low porosity hair.
- It immensely reduces the long-term exposure to toxic chemical compounds.
Which of you folks is jumping out of joy, and cannot wait to try these godsend potions on?
OUR TOP RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE BEST SULFATE AND PARABEN FREE SHAMPOOS GOES TO :
For all you patrons, who have finally found a solution to your #haircarehassle, we have another gift for y’all. Are you going to start researching the best products to suit your locks after reading this article? Well, you belles do not worry. We have you sorted in that department, and are glad to make your life easier. Hey, isn’t that what we’re here for?
Here’s presenting our top eight picks of sulfate/paraben-free shampoos for you to try and let the magic unravel.
1. OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo: Ideal for people with dry and rough hair, one can truly indulge their consciousness with this complete formula comprising of coconut milk, coconut oil and egg whites. Smoothing your hair out, this shampoo will replenish the nourishment, elasticity and protein to your hair. Its creamy, hydrating and foaming consistency will cleanse your hair, leaving it glowing and soft, sans the grease and oil. Additionally, it has a great tropical scent and increases the protein intake manifold. However, you may feel a tad bit itchy. Available at INR 1900 for 385 ml, it is definitely worth the money.
2. WOW Skin Science Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo Sulfate Paraben Free: We all are well aware of the fact that exposing our tresses to the daily pollution and dirt can leave them listless, lifeless and lacking in luster. Made with pure, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar, sweet almond and argan oil, this organic paraben-free shampoo detoxifies hair and scalp. Furthermore, it does so by clearing the build-up caused by dead cells, styling products and dust. It cleanses your hair by eradicating dandruff from your scalp. Priced at INR 350 for 300 ml, it is great for all hair types, and its effect can be solidified by using a complimenting conditioner.
3. Aveda Nutriplenish Deep Moisture Hydration Shampoo: As the name suggests, this shampoo softens and moisturizes your hair, leaving it super shiny and luminous. Calling out to all lovers of organic natural ingredients, the shampoo is bursting with the super enriching goodness of vegan superfood blend of potent plant butter and oils. To name a few, the sulfate and paraben-free shampoo has organic pomegranate oil, coconut oil, and mango butter as some of its key ingredients. Priced at INR 2350 for 250 ml, you can unquestionably say a thunderous goodbye to brittle hair.
4. L’Oreal Paris Ever Pure Sulfate Free Moisture Shampoo: Packaged in a ditsy purple and pink tube, this rosemary-filled shampoo is an ideal fix for dry, coloured or chemically exposed hair. It deeply reinforces brittle hair with adequate hydration, softness and a gleaming shine. Available for INR 947 for 250 ml, you can be rest assured of its results considering it has a giant like L’Oreal backing it.
5. Kérastase Aura Botanica Bain Micellaire Shampoo: Have some serious oily hair woes? Then look no further for a hack! Due to the increased use of brushing, over styling or blow-drying, nearly 88% of women experience hair fall and an oily scalp. Offering affable care to enhance natural, devitalized hair, and leave it with a healthy glow, this shampoo satisfies a growing desire for reasonable luxury. Tickling your senses with a spa-like aromatic fragrance, it cleanses away impurities, whilst restoring your original hair texture. Available for a stiff amount of INR 2,150 for 250 ml, it is worth every last penny that you pay for it.
6. Shea Moisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Shampoo: Encapsulating your hair in a hydrating formula, this sulfate-free shampoo rejuvenates your hair from within, and rescues your hair from grave stress. It increases the total shine and softness of your locks while reducing the untameable frizz for the better part of the day. Priced at INR 1,800 for 385 ml, this product delivers more than what it is worth for? Have a party coming up, and you have unmanageable hair? Fret you not, for this mild additive will work wonders, and make many eyes turn.
7. Forest Essentials Hair Cleanser Bhringraj & Shikakai: A hair-growth boosting shampoo, this product lays testament to the fact that the healing properties of natural resources always triumph. This product controls hair thinning and breakage and enables regrowth. The restorative powers of bhringraj ameliorate hair growth and lessen hair fall, while the micro-nutrients produced by the shikakai mix and licorice help to keep dandruff in check. Tempted to try it out? Go buy your bottle for INR 1375 for 200 ml, pronto!
8. The Body Shop Rainforest Shine Shampoo: Transporting you to the Amazon Rainforest, this brilliant body shop product is devoid of silicone, paraben, colorant and sulfate. Too good to be true? To add to this fantasy, their conditioning oils help add moisture and sparkle to your hair. More expensive than others, it is available for INR 2,999 for 250 ml. Furthermore, this cleanser works best for rough and dry hair, and emits a natural fragrance.
To sign off, have we introduced you to a whole new exciting world of hair care wonderment? If you are inspired to purchase any of these life-altering products, then head to Nykaa or Amazon, for that’s your one stop shop. Lastly, you lovelies, we’d like to leave you with an afterthought:
“May your coffee be as strong as your Hair Care Regime” Damn, talk about setting some serious goals!