ROLEX LADY DATEJUST - Graceful elegance at its best
As we go through life, we gather some coveted items that we possess, which are a fruit of our hard work and persistence. As we climb up towards the higher echelons of society, we often enjoy the sweet taste of success, which brings along with it status, prestige and power. And Rolex Lady Datejust is just one of such prized possessions that is totally worth owning if you feel you have rightly earned it .
Hello! This blog post is dedicated to all you dreamers and achievers. All of us fashion- savvy individuals out here desire to retain our own luxury accessories such as that exclusive Birkin bag or a spunky pair of Christian Louboutin heels one day. Irrespective of your vibe and personality, ever wondered what is that one symbol of exquisite taste, opulence and refined luxury? Well, according to us it’s a timeless edition of a watch- an accessory which represents endurance, grace and the paramount of importance of the fleeting time in our lives.
And, what better brand than the Ace of all our Hearts- Rolex! From top corporate honchos to the crème de la crème of society; a boss lady to families passing on an heirloom to the younger generations- the true luxury keeping us close to our forefathers, Rolex watches truly are ageless. As popular are the bold, big dials complimenting men in their formal attire, the dainty, feminine version of this classic wear is as prized as Cinderella’s glass slipper in today’s times. Screaming of gravitas and aplomb, the who’s who of showbiz, be it the very versatile, sassy stalwart, Jennifer Aniston or the Hollywood diva turned royalty, Grace Kelly have been seen donning their statement pieces from time to time. And, boy, does it exude a sophistication aura!
ROLEX: AN ETERNAL SAGA; A QUICK RECAP OF ITS INCREDIBLE JOURNEY
Founded over a century ago by HANS WIDORF and ALFRED DAVIS in 1905, this Swiss luxury watch manufacturer has placed its firm footing in the industry, with showrooms all over the world. Throughout the years, Rolex has managed to create an incredulous marriage between wrist watches and quality jewellery, creating a beautiful culmination of sorts.
Monopolizing its stead as an industry leader, Rolex boasts of having an unmatched reputation of the highest caliber and savoir-faire. Even today, this pioneering wristwatch label continues to be in the forefront of emblematic inventiveness in watch design that have traversed with explorers and adorned by their diverse clientele. Launching a sister-concern called the Tudor SA in the 1920’s, this watch giant, not only diversified its operations to serve a bigger purpose, but continued to grow by leaps and bounds due to its intricate craftsmanship, passion and heritage value.
Now, now! If you’re aware of the patriarchal values of the olden times, it was quite obvious that back then in the nineteenth and early twentieth century’s, only men were permitted to hold positions of power and responsibility, aka the effects of gender role socialization! Women were seen as docile and meek, whose responsibilities were restricted to the care of the household, husband and their children. The elite class ladies were also construed as trophy wives who donned lavish outfits and finery. In fact, the turn of this period also showed that our kind was capable of more, and they started venturing out and making their mark; truly a transition in our trajectory and mind-set. Can we just say, “Who run the world? Girls.”
Unsurprisingly, most of these luxury products catered to the male audience, thanks to their humongous financial clout. But did y’all know that even in those hay-days, Rolex identified patrons among women, and in their own little way empowered them. They showed that women are capable of standing on their own two feet, and reaching for the stars. In fact, inspired by the British swimmer Mercedes Glietze, they developed their iconic Oyster watch, making her its brand ambassador. Not only that, this brand is also credited with creating the accurate mechanism of reading time, converging élan with its signature style.
Creating extremely delicate pieces, akin to ornamental bracelets, they truly redefined the adage, ‘beauty with a purpose’, by placing tiny watch sets in them. If you look at them closely, doesn’t it remind you of extravagant Art Deco Influences?
In 1945, the Rolex family came up with its most eminent and well-loved collection, which is revered in the present times too. Titled as Datejust, it combines traditions with modernity in an evergreen avatar. Read on to know more about this momentous occasion, you beauties!
Birth of the DateJust line, and its successor SUCCESSOR ROLEX LADY DATEJUST
Instrumental for being touted as the first self-winding wrist chronometer, it also indicated the date in a window on the dial. Encrusted with a Jubilee Bracelet and a fluted bezel make it easily identifiable as a Rolex, and is a pillar of their enigmatic Oyster collection. Initially available for men, it was extended to the pretty lassies as well, when they came out with their first version in 1957. And, this move of theirs surely went down in history.
As fashion icon and actress, Marilyn Monroe once said, “Diamonds are a girl’s best friend” was taken a tad bit too seriously, what say? Designed with its classic date chronometer, this founding version carried with it, its timeless elegance and functionality in a smaller size, customized for a lady’s list. Since then, we wonderful belles have been spoilt for choice, and can we say that we are not complaining.
Growing from 26mm to 31mm in size, Rolex Lady DateJust continues to be the quintessential choice of the modern woman, someone who can enjoy and earn the grandeur and magnificence of it all. An interesting attribute of this version and that what it is known for is that these watches mainly showcase an oyster or jubilee bracelet, which constitutes the clasp. Known for its steel quality and the quality of gold, thanks to the carats used, their aim is to immortalise their collection, while evolving through different upgraded designs.
These are some of our all-time favourites from their collection:
– Oyster Perpetual Lady Date just: This watch holds a special place in history. The founding version of the Rolex Lady DateJust legacy, this highly distinguishable and glorious piece, unveils a new facet of its alluring feminity. Made of 18 carat yellow gold, it is marvellously uplifted by an illuminating fluted bezel set with 48 brilliant cut diamonds. Did your jaws just drop? Trust us, there is more! Exalted by a novel champagne colour dial with 11 rubies encrusted on the large VI set delicately, gives this model a precious appearance. The gold on the bracelet and the case is alloyed, thereby connoting to it as ‘Oyster steel’. Standing for style and functionality, who would pay a hefty price if it wasn’t of highly superior quality? The OYSTER case of this model (26 mm) is firmly waterproofed up to the death of 100 m. Its semi-circular links make it uber comfortable to wear, while pleasing the eyes.
As their creations were upgraded, so was their aesthetic style, while maintaining the trademark Oyster archetype.
– Oyster 28mm, white gold and diamonds: Befitted with a diamond set bezel and boasting of a gracious profile of 28 mm, this piece looks very English, chic and eye-catching. Enchanting the wearer and the onlooker, this model consists of diamond paved dials which makes for a glittering symphony. The precious metal is intricately carved to perfectly lodge each gemstone by hand. The crisp, rich look can be attuned to several factors such as the exact alignment of the height of the gems, its proportion and orientation, along with its regularity, strength and delicate finish, which is set in the bezel.
Like its predecessor, this watch too, consists of 18 carat of gold alloys. By amalgamating varying amounts of silver, copper, platinum or palladium, the hues of yellow, pink or white are obtained. The finishing touches are added by attaching an esteemed President bracelet of solid gold or platinum, and a contemporary concealed Crownclasp that is detached with a hinged Rolex Crown.
– Oyster, 28mm, yellow gold and diamonds: Similar to the previous one, this model too is 28mm in diameter. The main difference, however, is that this watch is encrusted in 18 carat yellow gold and diamonds, instead of white gold. Replete with a diamond set bezel and the President bracelet, this serves as an equally flamboyant option to its predecessor. The overall black numbering enhances the entire look, making it a stand-out and a bold choice; embodying a woman who is feisty. Both these models were launched in 2021.
– Oyster, 28mm, Oystersteel, yellow gold and diamonds: Embodying a Rolesor, or the marriage, between two metals, gold and steel bring unique properties to the table. While the 18 carat gold is coveted for its shine and nobility, steel stands for endurance and reliability. Trademarked as one of the prominent pillars of the Oyster collection, Rolesor has been on the Rolex paradigm since 1930. Sticking the Oyster sensibility, it possesses a diamond set bezel and a mother of pearl dial.
Symbolising the nature of mystery and surprises, they differ in colour, intensity and structure. Nonetheless, its natural beauty and original colours have been preserved in such a unique fashion that no two dials will be identical. Embracing a supple and comfortable five piece link metal bracelet, this eternal piece lies synonymous with the saying, “Being comfortable in your own skin” (quite literally); this alchemy guarantees impeccable beauty.
– Oyster, 28mm, Oystersteel and Everrose Gold: What is so soothing about a pink rose? It brings unbridled joy and calmness to both, the patron and the beholder. Exuding a romantic notion, this model is a hot favourite among us ladies for its sartorial vibe. Extremely feminine and ditsy, this watch is famous for its Rose Coloured dial, which gives it a ‘Distinctive Face’. The hour markers are characterised by 18ct gold, and this gem too, is a Rolex. Honing a fluted bezel, this style truly personifies the culmination of high fashion with practicality. While it serves to screw the bezel on the case to enable its waterproofing on one hand, it also doubles up as an aesthetic design, giving this model its special element on the other hand. The Oyster bracelet is replete with an Oyster clasp and an exclusive Easylink comfort extension link. In a stupendous case of ingenuity, this system allows the wearer to increase the length of the bracelet by approximately 5mm, therefore enhancing comfort.
After reading this comprehensive guide, are you belles tempted to or rather dream of purchasing your own Rolex one day? All we can say is dream big and hustle hard, for with unfettered persistence, the sky as our limit does not seem far away. To sign off, while you’ll have enjoyed this visual treat, do check out some of their other collections such as the Day-Date and Datejust. With a wide array of options for men, they have ensured that luxury is enjoyed even on the peak of a mountain, to having unconventional career paths such as flying, or simply going on a date with your better half. Can we just say, love at first sight?