5 Natural HOMEMADE TONERS for open and clogged pores
“Skincare is my foundation.”
How many of you beauty lovers resonate with this quote? Well, we surely do! With the heaps of makeup and other cosmetic products that we colour our beautiful faces with on innumerable occasions, it is equally important to take care of our most priced accessory- the skin.
In a time when our faces are additionally exposed to rampant pollution, skin irritants or even bodily changes, we are naturally prone to various cosmetic woes. Hey, and let’s not forget the role of our various skin types- normal, oily, dry or even a combination skin, which may result to conditions such as open pores, hyperpigmentation or the most feared acne. Say ‘aye’ if you feel us!
And, what’s more, with the global pandemic hitting us on a repeat mode due to its two horrific waves, we have more time to try out new hacks, since we’re spending our worthwhile time in our homes. Additionally, with the popularity of K-Beauty trends, risings, skinvestment has taken a whole new meaning and centre stage for most young girls who wish to flaunt that flawless skin.
During this past year, how many of y’all have given into the pearls of wisdom imparted by your old-school, yet progressive grandparents to try on some ‘au naturale’ hacks? Our guesses point to most of us! Resultantly, you know what, kudos to all you experimenters, for there definitely are manifold advantages to the same, aka healing properties of the widely available natural ingredients.
The winner of the hour is definitely the home made skin toners, which have many benefits.
WHAT ARE SKIN TONERS?
For the experts and the novice, let’s revise or understand this concept thoroughly. Primarily used after cleansing one’s face, a skin toner ensures that our skin is completely cleaned, getting rid of the remaining residue or oil that a cleanser may not have reached. A double whammy cleansing process, what say? Generally an in-between step of an integral three part cosmetic regime, often times, we forget to carry it out. We’re all guilty of it at some point in our lives, right? Going forward, let’s make it an aim to slay this cleansing-toning-moisturising routine, and we promise, you are one step closer to having that much desired scintillating skin.
Well, well! It’s not that simple. As is the way of life, a little homework would take us a long way. Depending on our skin type, we should use several permutations that suit your skin the best. With this growing trend of using natural products, it definitely becomes a prerequisite, so that more harm is not endured.
Confused, much? Don’t be, you lassies! Read on to know more about their benefits and glorious properties.
BENEFITS OF USING HOMEMADE SKIN TONERS
Yup, some of our parents may be super impressed and happy at our willingness to finally stir towards a healthier and a wholesome life. How many of us, for instance, have cribbed about consuming certain greens or nutritious foods throughout our lives, but are now implementing it in some way? Yes, as they say the taste of success may be bitter sometimes. Do y’all agree?
Speaking of their magnetic advantages, they are manifold as given.
- Say hello to improved skin elasticity and firmness.
- Excess soap, oil or makeup residues are well taken care of.
- Serving as excellent exfoliators, they rip of dead skin cells and promote cell regeneration.
- Just like the chemical or medicated ones, these natural skin toners too consist of ingredients, which help with acne management, anti-aging or other beauty woes.
- It maintains the PH balance of your skin, and even replenishes it with adequate hydration.
OPEN PORES- THE SKIN CARE DEVILS
Yes, you lovelies heard it right. Think of it from a logical viewpoint. Large open pores are the sole reasons for dirt, toxins or impurities to enter our skin, which makes them the gateways of several infections and irritable conditions. Not astonishingly, you can then be prepared for your share of acnes, pimples and blemishes. Additionally, our skin often tends to feel rough and dry, losing its natural glow and lustre. Clearly, interrelated, luckily for us we have the godsend (quite literally) solution, whiz a whiz homemade toners.
Giving a disclaimer to all our loyal readers; we must be vigilant and avoid comedogenic ingredients. Feeling a little overwhelmed by the influx of information? Well, no need to be anymore! We’re here to equip you with a crash course on #Skincare101. A comedone, essentially are the red bumps that festoon our skins due to the exposed pores. Millennially known as the ‘oh my life is over’ (apologies for the exaggeration) pimples, they further enhance the breeding capacities of our skin into acnes, pigmentations and the likes. Comedogenic ingredients, by extension, are therefore, those pre-clogging elements, which lead to our mini-nightmares.
But to all you marvellous souls, come what may, always embrace your flaws and be positive. A happy mind leads to a healthy body! Don’t you think an emotional comedogenic ingredient may include our increased stress levels, and therefore an imbalance of hormones as well? So, let’s take care and relax our minds as well!
UNEARTHING (PUN INTENDED) THE HOMEMADE TONERS
Damn, that was quite the analogy up there! Finally we’ve reached that moment for which you folks have been waiting with bated breaths- a few naturally available resources that have the surreptitious (not anymore) power of doubling up as a modern elixir of life- our much revered skin care fix.
Here’s presenting to you our top five DIY recommendations:
1. CUCUMBER AND CURD: Showcasing truly simple solutions to our replication of making a ‘mountain out of a molehill’, this hack personifies wonderment to its core. Who said cucumbers were only restricted to juicy salads? An excellent herbal ingredient for a number of skin care woes, you can be rest assured of its efficacy in case of inflammation, swelling, oiliness or anti-sebum secretion. Its cooling quality in fact, helps to keep the acne and blemishes at bay. As a pleasing ring to our ears, cucumbers can also help us get of dark circles, thanks to the presence of antioxidants and silica. Most importantly, it tightens our open pores, and along with curd helps to improve our skin tone, and even out fine lines and wrinkles on our faces.
To prepare this concoction, all you need to do is:
- Beat two to three tablespoons of sour unflavoured curd in a bowl and set it aside.
- Peel a fresh cucumber and dab it with the curd.
- In an anti-clockwise circular motion, apply this toner on your face and neck.
- Finally, after ten minutes you can wash it with lukewarm water.
2.CAMPHOR AND ROSE WATER: Yes, you read that accurately! All you need is 1/3rd teaspoon of camphor, 1 cup of rose water and a spray bottle to let the magic unravel. Evergreen for its medicinal and therapeutic properties, camphor is known to soothe the skin, and reduce its susceptibility to acne and pimples. Rose water being a cooling agent has anti-bacterial values and hydrating powers, which makes it a universal bet for all skin types. Have you had a rough day at work or outdoors in the scorching heat, and just need some ‘me-time’? Rose water serves as an excellent mood-enhancer as well. Reducing the sebum secretion, it helps to tighten your purified pores. After blending this mixture, use a cotton ball to dab it on your face. Once it is applied, gently wipe your face clean. Its shelf life ranges for about 3-4 weeks if stored in the refrigerator.
3. TOMATOES: This toner is definitely a top choice. Do you know why? A go-to resource for sensitive skin, these ripe, red and luscious tomatoes tightens the skin and shrinks its pores, thereby curing skin irritation, rashes and blemishes, simultaneously. Serving as a cherry on top of the cake, daily application of tomato juice helps in the eradication of black heads on the nose. Rich in Vitamins A, C and K, this potion improves the overall skin health by acting as an efficient astringent against unwarranted shine and oil on our t-zones, whist removing dead cells at the same time. Consequently, you can be prepared to show off that flawless skin.To avail of its benefits simply cut a fresh tomato into two halves and squeeze the juice from it. Next, add 1 tablespoon of cucumber juice to it and mix thoroughly. Use a cotton ball to apply this mixture, whilst wiping your face with it twice a day.
4. MILK, HONEY AND EGG TONER: Proving that balance is the key, these three ingredients work marvels when teamed up together. While milk provides necessary nutrients to our aging skin, the humectant attributes of honey captures moisture in the skin giving it a youthful appearance and a smoothening quality. Egg white adds rich protein to the skin, therefore evening out our entire frown or stress lines. Do you wonder if put regularly, who needs Botox or fillers? But, the biggest pro is that it tightens our skin, and solidifies its strength.
After mixing 1 tablespoon of milk, 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 egg white in a glass bowl, spread it evenly on the face, and leave it to dry for 15 minutes. Finally, after washing your face with cold water, wear that glowing, age-reversing look with pride.
5. ALOE VERA: Constituted with highly potent elements, aloe vera is that must-have item which serves a multitude of purposes, just like a doctor who can do it all! Blessed with amazing moisturizing properties, it gives a stiff competition to many skin care creams. While it smoothens and delineates spots and fine lines on one hand (goodbye early aging), it reaffirms the skin’s elasticity and endurance on the other hand, by cleaning the pores and tightening the skin. Enabling in collagen production, it restores the suppleness and radiance of the otherwise dull skin. Quite hassle free, and easy to acquire, just cut one leaf from the plant, and strain out the gel. Evenly and consistently apply it around your face and neck. After a 20 minute wait filled with anticipation (let’s get real, you’ll feel this first time!), wash your face with water, and say a stupendous hello to your gleaming skin.
After reading these life-altering, but effortless strategies, are you dying to try it out and witness this sensation? Are you going to deep dive into the green world of skin care? Hahah, we do not blame you and fully understand your unwavering enthusiasm and zest. Enjoy this process, and see what best works for you.
As a parting advice, all we’d like to say is that contrary to popular belief steer clear from the following items:
- Lime or lemon juice
- Raw apple cider vinegar
- Baking soda
- Raw eggs (unlike the egg white)
Trust us, irrespective of your skin type, newer research denotes it as a recipe for disaster. And ladies, always remember, “Healthy skin is not an overnight process.” With time, your skin will clear up. Patience and a healthy body is the key.