DOUBLE CLEANSING in Skin Care – Meaning, Benefits and the Products to use
“Happiness is a habit. So is skincare.”
Yes, we understand that we may sound a tad bit dramatic out here, but isn’t skincare BAE? Although ‘skinvestment’ has been around for long, its only now in the recent times that pretty much everybody has been raving about it; beauty enthusiasts or not. Akin to a unifying thread, don’t we all wish to flaunt flawless, clear skin?
While we do realize that we need to have a diligent skincare routine in place to keep us at bay from all the chemicals permeating into our skin thanks to gazillion makeup products available or the pollution outside. Having said that aren’t we all guilty of occasionally dozing off with our cosmetic products on? Well, well! If you do this often, you need to change this horrid habit, pronto! Just as we unfailingly brush our teeth every day, a daily cleansing routine must be adopted for gorgeous, healthy skin. Moreover, it doesn’t end there. With increasing research, we’re coming to understand that sometimes we may need to up our game twice the number of times by adopting a double cleansing routine.
WHAT IS DOUBLE CLEANSING?
A technique originating from Japan and South Korean, or now more popularly known as a K-Beauty fad means to get rid of the “grime” that sits atop your skin in addition to makeup, excess oil and dead skin. And, if you’re living in one of the busy, metropolitan cities, hasn’t it become imperative to double cleanse our skins due to excess pollution? Dating back to several years, the Japanese Geisha used cleansing oil followed by a foamy cleanser to remove makeup and excess dirt. With its efficacious success rate, it has become an integral step in the time-consuming, 10-step Korean skin care regime.
The concept behind this skincare ritual is to use cleansing oil or a balm cleanser to first remove your makeup or sunscreen. This preliminary step clears the way for your regular cleanser to effortlessly cleanse your skin. Unlike mineral oils, which are quite efficient themselves at dissolving all kinds of chemicals, the modern cleansing oils have a far more superior emulsifying quality in them. Mixing with water to form a milky emulsion, it makes it easy to rinse the skin.
A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO DOUBLE CLEANSE SUCCESSFULLY
We’re sure you’re eagerly waiting to know more about this miraculous trick, which can help you achieve your dream of wonderful, luminous skin. Read on to understand how to slay this routine is a step-by-step manner. Is that a resounding ‘Aye’ we hear?
Before we deep-dive into the same, always remember, that a double cleanse is not always required, and your skin type plays a key role in determining the need for such a regime. However, if you do decide to go ahead with it, we’d suggest indulging in this therapeutic routine at night whilst you can use your C-T-M routine during the day.
1. To begin, pour your non-irritating cleansing oil or balm into the palm of one hand, and use your opposite fingers to apply it to wet or dry skin. Massage your skin in gentle, circular motions, including the space around your eyes for 30-45 seconds. In fact, you can ditch your eye makeup remover if your cleansing oil comes sans fragrance. In case, you opt to use a cleansing cloth in this first step, ensure that it is gentle, yet effective and without perfume. Using both sides if necessary, gently wipe your makeup, including the area around your eyes.
2. Consequently, rinse or gently remove the cleanser with a soft, wet washcloth.
3. Following this, pour a tiny amount of your regular facial cleanser and apply it to damp skin, and massage it as mentioned above.
4. You’re now ready to rinse the second cleanser. After doing so, drab your skin dry with a clean, soft towel.
5. Voila, you can now proceed onto the remainder of your ‘me-time’, glow-enhancing beauty regime.
WHEN SHOULD YOU DOUBLE CLEANSE YOUR SKIN?
Irrespective of the frequency of applying makeup, it’s still important to make sure you’re cleansing at the end of the day. Dirt particles cause oxidative damage to the skin, along with contributing to the breakage of collagen and development of wrinkles and sun spots. Whatever happened to youthful skin, right?
In another stead, double cleansing may not suit all skin types. For sensitive skins prone to rosacea or dryness, it is advisable to first cleanse followed by a simple water cleanse. Looking at our natural oil production, it helps to maintain harmony in our skin. Double cleansing primarily works wonders if your skin is acne prone.
BENEFITS OF DOUBLE CLEANSING YOUR SKIN
Double cleansing has truly lived up to its claim and has doubled the gains of cleansing skin. In one of her interviews, Rabia Aslam, an eminent director of a Cosmetology Clinic expressed, “On average, most people only spend about twenty seconds on cleansing, which isn’t enough time to massage the cleanser properly.” Apart from that, a factor that many of us may overlook is the temperature of the water; yes darlings, neither too hot, nor too cold- just lukewarm will do the trick.
Speaking of its advantages, double cleansing has many. Read on to know more about this marvellous, glow-enhancing technique.
1. Better Penetration of the Products: For all our makeup lovers out here, we now know that a simple face-wash will not remove all of our makeup, and clean our skin thoroughly. These two steps equate the effect of serums and moisturizer to penetrate deeper and perform better.
2. Anti-Ageing much: Well, we can imagine having a few brows raised out of pleasant astonishment. Going back to the skin science, often when the impurities are left inside, they clog our pores and contaminate it. As a result, the process of cell regeneration, which helps in developing plump, softer and youthful skin gets impeded, leading to its opposite. Therefore, the double cleansing may actually promote anti-ageing phenomenon.
3. Prevents Skin Dullness: Stating an obvious fact, deep cleaning your skin with top quality products brightens and illuminates your skin, thereby, stimulating your natural complexion to come to the fore and shine. It also helps to get rid of the dullness of our skin which seeps in through our stress-induced lifestyles. Additionally, it works as a gentle exfoliator, and slashes the dead skin cells which emerge on our skin surface.
4. Replenishes the Skin: This routine also helps to restore our skin with essential nutrients by restoring the essential oils and maintaining the sebum production.
As an afterthought, doesn’t this hack seem like a dream come true for the Indian skin type, considering that we live in a tropical humid environment which can lead to sweating coupled with pollutants seeping in?
OUR 5 TOP PICKS TO TREAT YOUR SKIN TO GOOD HEALTH
Are you ready to show off that alluring, oh-so gorgeous skin around town? If you want to experience this mind-blowing craze, then just live by our recommendations, and get ready to embrace your wonderful, clear skin.
1. CLINIQUE TAKE THE DAY OFF CLEANSING BALM (INR 3,200): A lightweight cleansing balm, this concoction turns into a silky oil nourishing your skin effectively whist dissolving stubborn makeup effortlessly. It’s non-greasy or non-drying formula removes sunscreen easily.
2. BANILA CO. CLEANIT ZERO CLEANSING BALM (INR 1,897): A true icon, it melts away rigid makeup within minutes, and leaves a soothing sensation on your skin. Imagine that satiating feeling as this elixir gets rid of even the thickest foundations. Not only does it preserve the natural oils in your skin, but also exfoliates and brightens your skin by infusing it with vitamin C-rich acerola extract. It epitomises a strong, elegant woman always on the go.
3. PIXI BEAUTY CAROLINE HIRONS DOUBLE CLEANSE (INR 2,500): This unconventional 2-in-1 cleanser contains a solid cleansing oil or balm on one side, with the cleansing cream present on the other side. Filled with Vitamin E, this cleanser treats the skin in tandem with omega-rich Camellia oil which subsists and softens the skin. Lastly, the Evening Primrose Oil truly relaxes and heals your skin.
4. ESTEE LAUDER ADVANCED NIGHT MICRO CLEANSING BALM (INR 3000): Trust Estee Lauder to always deliver the best? We agree! Its micro purifying, micro-revitalising balm removes impurities and makeup efficiently without disarranging the skin barrier. Boasting of being feathery light and silky smooth, this balm wondrously glides on your skin without disarraying any nutrients.
5. SAPPHIRE BOTANICS STRIP AVOCADO CLEANSING BALM (INR 899): A brilliant indie label, its avocado cleansing balm is supremely smooth on the skin and removes makeup whilst ensuring that your skin remains hydrated and moisturized throughout the day. Also, we feel it’s addictive for ah-mazing reason- who’s ready for that flirtatious glow?
To sign off, we’d like to leave you with some pearls of wisdom imparted by Karen Grant: “Skin care is like dieting. You have to invest time and effort. There is no instant miracle cure.” What are you waiting for ladies? Say ‘I do’ to your glorious skin!