CHARCOAL Face Care: The trend that took the skincare industry by storm
Whenever you’ve visited a salon or spa, have you ever wondered about the fad surrounding the ‘black’ thick layer on our faces or backs? It’s nothing but that holy charcoal on face. Hailed as a hero by beauty experts, this novel trend of incorporating activated charcoal in our skincare routines has manifold benefits that we’d never fathomed about. Why this hype, you may ask?
WHAT IS ACTIVATED CHARCOAL?
Yes, we have heard about charcoal being used for several bodily troubles ranging from poisoning treatments, cholesterol control, kidney and gastrointestinal issues. Similarly, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that it may have wondrous properties to cleanse our skin as well. Do we see your eyebrows being raised in awe and curiosity? Well, we won’t tug at your pulsating feelings any longer!
Renowned dermatologist, Dr. Jaishree Sharad shedding light on this concept in one of her interviews, explained, “Charcoal is made by burning wood, coal or coconut shells but activated charcoal is when the burning is done under intense heat and the temperature is raised even further.” Understandably, this process is carried out in an oxygen-free environment and is heralded for its adsorptive and purifying properties for centuries. Did you think that this hack was discovered in this era, oozing out an ‘aha moment’? Think again, you guys, for we’d like to call it a much welcomed recoup of sorts; perhaps, indirectly intertwining with our forefathers who lived by its advantages as well.
Before we tempt you any further to jump onto this bandwagon of some pamper-driven ‘soin de la peau’, let’s learn more about the benefits of charcoal for the skin.
BENEFITS OF USING CHARCOAL ON FACE
Legit question to ask, right, dearies? Activated charcoal unravels it potency by trapping all the toxins, environmental pollutants, surplus sebum and chemical in your pores whilst pulling it out to the surface of the skin in order for it to be washed out. Going back to your eighth-grade chemistry lessons, think of it as having a negative electrical charge that attracts positively charged elements like dirt or other adherents.
In this pollution-ridden and stress-induced environment, what’s the number one problem faced by millennials and Gen Z’s? Isn’t it probably breakouts, pimples, hives, cold sores and acne on the skin, making us exaggerate how our world has fallen apart? But to all those who are encumbered by its presence, and have tried diverse options, activated charcoal may be your life saviour. Not only does it build a protective layer around your skin, but also deep cleanses it, reducing the prevalence of clogged or open pores. Thanks to its antibacterial, antifungal and anti-viral properties, it is also known to bust bacteria internally as well as externally, so you can safely say goodbye to your scar(r)y woes and achieve that much-needed detox. Using this elixir can help balance your sebum production and restore the skin’s nutritive values, imparting care to your T-zones and banishing oily skin. And, what’s more is that it won’t leave your skin feeling dry or rough, but shiny, soft and supple.
Trust the Egyptians to lead the way into herbal victory by using this resource to get rid of odours that accompanied open wounds as early as 1500 BC. Due to its adsorbent attributes, all you need to do is place this substance on your skin, and voila, you’ll smell as fresh as a daisy. Additionally, it also acts as a dehumidifier and adsorbs perspiration best when you’re asleep. Need a quick and rejuvenating facial? Their masks and scrubs gently exfoliate and regenerate our skin, while getting rid of the dead skin cells, making you look radiant and youthful.
From whitening your teeth, to even playing a relaxant during your ‘me-time’ tub bath after a laborious day at work, activated charcoal recharges our bodies and skins.
What products of Activated Charcoal for the face are popular today? - the Brands that have our hearts
Now, now! You lovelies know now that this marvel is just not used in roasting barbecues! Refreshing skin masks, soaps, scrubs, cleansers, face packs and sponges, de-tanners and deodorants- we are truly spoilt for choice; in an enriching juxtaposition, can we call it a charcoal heaven?
As with any beauty blog, we too have our list of favourites that we are ecstatic to share with you, so that you can experience this ‘skinchantment’ or this euphoria associated with it.
1. Himalayan Charcoal Range by The Body Shop: In a proud moment for us, this bestselling range consists of a Himalayan Charcoal Face Wash (Rs. 3550), Purifying Glow Mask(Rs.5990) and Purifying Soap(Rs.1450), which blend beautifully together to give us that flawless, enviable skin. Extracting charcoals from the foothills of our Himalayas, this powerful vegan and sustainable product amalgamates with kaolin clay and tea trade oil from the wildlife-abounding Kenya. Requiring gentle massage on the skin, as per product-specific instructions, their products leave your skin feeling alive, healthy and luminous. From removing impurities to control the sebum excretion and even exfoliating our skin, this creamy non-drying formula refines our pores and prevents the build-up of toxins.
2. Pond’s Pure White Anti-Pollution with Activated Charcoal Face Wash: Coupled with aloe vera, this face wash smoothens and nourishes our skins. Meant for the pretty belles, Vitamin B3 provides necessary reinforcements to our skin. Along with activated carbon, Pond’s delivers yet again and helps to eradicate the zits and contaminants off our gorgeous, supple faces.
3. WOW Skin Science Activated Charcoal Face Wash: Available for Rs. 179, this face wash embedded with charcoal beads filters out the toxins, chemicals and irritants and micro-particle impurities from the skin whilst its grainy texture exfoliates the dead skin. Apart from disinfecting the skin, it also calms it by keeping the breakouts at bay. Free of parabens, sulphur, silicon, artificial colours and toxins; could it get any better?
4. L’Oréal Paris Pure Clay Mask Detoxify: Synonymous with this industry, L’Oreal strikes gold with this product. An instant detox, aka the oil-absorbing powers of charcoal, all you need to do is apply an even layer on a deeply cleansed skin, and leave it off for ten minutes to peel it off to an illuminated, revitalized visage. Rs. 525 is all it takes to feel better!
5. Khadi Charcoal Mask: Suited for all skin types, this herbal mask is a constant companion for all those boss women who travel rigorously. Not escaping the pollution, this mask also helps to eradicate blackheads and spots, whiz-a-whiz your grooming essential. While it thoroughly cleanses your pores, your supple skin will be a testament to its soothing properties. Truly a Rs. 180 wonder!
6. Charcoal Deep Cleansing Bath Soap by Bombay Shaving: Manufactured by the Bombay Shaving Company for all skin types, this is one of the best products for defoliating and skin cleansing. Fixed with coffee granules, this partnership results in stimulating blood flow in the skin. Androgynous in its approach, this soap is priced at Rs. 136.
7. Fabindia Charcoal Face Scrub: Along with constituting our super ingredient, this radiance-exuding scrub is filled with Walnut grits and essential oils, which deeply purifies the skin. With this miraculous potion in tow, blackheads and whiteheads will be a thing of your past. It gently clarifies your skin, and Rs. 360 is all it costs.
7. Inatur Charcoal Face Mask: Effective in removing skin tan, this product works well for all skin types and genders. Fused with reinvigorating basil extracts, you can bid adios to acne and skin infections whilst lemon oil acts as an antiseptic. Lastly, hailed as wholesome, the neem extracts kills the bacteria. Time to detox, beauties for Rs. 383, what say?
8. Yes to Tomatoes Detoxifying Charcoal Facial Wipes: Favoured by the globetrotters and hustlers, its activated charcoal removes impurities and keeps our oil secretion in check, all while giving us a glow. It is available for Rs. 1900.
If we have piqued your interest, do check out their wide range of products available, and believe us, you shall be intrigued and how! It’s time to stop wishing you had great skin, and simply get it.