SAREE POSES of our favourite Fashion Influencers on Instagram
It would not be an exaggeration to say that we have all grown up watching our mothers drape those beautiful sarees. Sarees in chiffon, organza, silk, georgette, brocade, sheer net and so many more fabrics. As much as they looked elegant and very lady like, they also had a very strong sensuous and ethereal undertone to them. We all have taken to our fantasies and draped and posed in those sarees when we were still very young. No woman can claim to have not struck those saree poses standing in front of the mirror, acting all charming and feminine. These are the playful indulgences we all have grown on. The fetish for the 9-yards of saree only seems to grow on us as we take into adulthood. With this post, we take a moment to deconstruct some of the most stunning saree poses that our favourite influencers from the world of fashion and beauty have styled for us on Instagram.
SAREE POSES OF SOME OF THE LEADING INFLUENCERS OF INDIA
They love to experiment and set new trends for the rest to follow. For what is fashion, if it doesn’t involve some out-of-the-box daring twists and individual perspectives. Some of the most well-known fashion influencers of the country have gone left, right and center styling their sarees and have beautifully captured their saree poses for our feeds. We decode some of our favourite saree photo poses for you to draw your inspiration the next time you plan on wearing a saree.
1. SHEREEN LOVE BUG – We can’t love her more. Rightly, one of the most iconic and stylish fashion influencers we have around. Her personal style is a mix of old world femininity and the modern day androgynous sass. While if one scrolls down her Instagram handle, you would find a lot of saree poses ideas. She takes the whole game higher with striking extremely elegant poses. Like for this one here, the saree is chic and very sexy. She keeps the vibe playful with flashing that mischievous smile and letting her eyes do the talking. While striking a pose in a saree for your Social media handles, always remember to let your expressions match with the mood of the whole look. At the end of it, it should all look very natural and in the moment and not trying too hard.
2. SANTOSHI SHETTY – The woman of all oomph, sass and not ‘giving a f*ck attitude’. Her style and personality stand out dramatically from each of the influencers out there. You may love her, hate her, but you cannot ignore her presence on the Social Media. Santoshi Shetty is surely a force to reckon with. Though her page is all about fitness, glamour and western wear, when she does don a lehenga or a saree, her traditional avatar is simply awe-strucking. She carries a saree with a similar aplomb as she does a bikini, her individuality shining through each of the attire. While trying to strike a saree pose like Santoshi, keep your stature strong and robust. Give that ‘no two hoots given in the world’ attitude. She seldom smiles, or laughs out while giving out poses in Indian wear. She keep the styling simple, but the aesthetics of the visual very strong.
3. MASOOM MINAWALA – No matter how clear and strong headed she comes across in the pursuits of her Social media strategy and goals, while posing in a saree she is all pleasant, poised and ever-so-charming. With this ruffled saree look, she has kept her expressions just as pleasing and effervescent as the ruffles of the saree. Choose a backdrop that complements your outfit well. It should not be dramatically contrasting to the whole mood and kill the effect. An old building, a dilapidated structure, a vintage outdoor location or just in the lush greenery of a park, choose a simple location. Let your saree stand out and capture all the limelight.
4. HOUSE OF MISU – Both the founders, Mitali Sagar and Summiya Patni from the label ‘House of Misu’ are epitome of elegance and grace. They do absolute justice to the Indian wear and fairly enough, their Instagram page is loaded with images of Indian lehengas and saree poses. In case you are looking to draw high-end inspiration for your Instagram saree pose, their handle is what you should be searching for. In this post, though the saree is simple, the red colour grabs all the ey balls. The look has been consciously kept very romantic and breezy. The expressions are light and effortless. If you are lucky enough to be shooting outdoors in a pleasant weather, let the breeze play out freely with the saree; you would get the most natural, visually pleasing shots this way. Sometimes, just that one strand of hair, unabashedly falling on your face without a care in the world, makes all the difference to the final shoot look. We love the fact that she has not worked upon too hard on her hair, not trying to overshadow the simplicity of the saree.
5. KOMPAL MATTA KAPOOR – Originally from India, and now settled in New-York wither husband, this pretty influencer has one of the most well-curated Instagram feeds that we have seen. Spotted equally in her modern, NRI avatar as well as flaunting her Indian roots through her saree poses, we must admit, she looks equally enchanting either ways. Though clichéd and an overdone photo shoot pose, holding a bunch of flowers always does the trick. A floral element can transform an average saree pose to a striking shot. Just take any flowers in any colour and ensure to use them in the best possible creative way for the shoot. You can hold the bunch in one hand, throw it up in the air, scatter the flowers around you; there is just no wrong way to get it right. A saree and flowers are a lethal combination and the final outcome would be nothing less of refreshing and surreal.
6. KOMAL PANDEY – If you do not know this lady, you have not explored anything of fashion yet. Daring, bold and immensely talented, these are just some of the top attributes to define her. Her love for sarees is well-known. One scroll through her feed and you would realize how much she loves this Indian attire, but of course in her own way. She hardly wears sarees in a way as we all knew of them. Her style is bold and experimental to the edge. At times, it is startling all that she can do with that 9-yard of fabric. She styles them with crop tops, jackets, bralettes, t-shirts and what not, but each time setting up a benchmark that one can hardly fathom to match. Giving the fashion stylists of the country a run for their money, this young lady strikes a saree pose with that ‘resting b*t*h’ face expression. A cue for all the daring girls out there, saree is not necessarily for the faint-hearted, it is as much an armour of the strong, fierce woman of today.
7. THAT BOHO GIRL – She may well be called the ‘influencer of the masses’; Kritika Khurana is one of the most well-known names in the blogger industry. With a presence across most of the digital platforms, she enjoys mass popularity with her; not just restricted to fashion’ posts. Young girls adore her and look upto her as an inspiration not just in the fashion and beauty realms, but also as a person who has struggled her way up to realize her dreams. You can give out a sitting saree pose, looking away from the camera in a very old world sort of a style. If your blouse has a sexy back, do not forget to show it off in a pose. Do not completely turn your back to the camera. Just stand a little slant with a side of your face showing. Maybe your eyes need not establish a contact with the camera lens, else it looks too dramatic. Let the blouse be properly visible. Keep your hair tied or else sweep them to one side over the shoulder. A saree pose looks equally sexy from the back as it does from the front. So every time you are getting clicked in a saree, remember to take both the shots.
8. AASHNA SHROFF – She looks elegant in whatever she does or wears. The girl has some high street snobbishness to her look that is not offending but very classy. No wonder, she has a blog by the name ‘thesnobjournal’. One of the veteran bloggers, she has been around for a long time and her audiences have seen her literally grow from a teen age girl to a confident, successful woman. The confidence and maturity reflects well in her work too. With traditional looks, she often keeps the styling very basic and effortless, without going overboard with the hairstyles or jewellery. The hair are usually left open, with a watch and some minimalistic jewellery as the adornments. For this sheer fabric saree, she just kept the look fresh and pristine like a daisy. One doesn’t always have to have a very planned shoot to get captivating images. If your look is appealing and there is good light, even a click with a good phone camera would get you the results. Pose stylishly and take a few shots. You are sure to get something that you like. A self-timer camera can also be of much good use.
9. JUHI GODAMBE – A stylish fashion influencer and an entrepreneur from Mumbai, Juhi Godambe sure has her own niche when it comes to styling. Lady with long legs, she has a sexy frame of body that does absolute justice to any silhouette that she decided on to carry. This yellow saree makes her look vivacious as a sunflower. If you are not too conscious of letting your face come to the fore, tie your hair up like how Juhi has done. This gives the whole traditional looks a modern, Indo western vibe. Stand with poise, and just take a little support of some flower vase, window, shelf or door and strike a pretty saree pose. Too much of hustle in the background or too many props can also be a spoiler. A luxury handbag or an embellished potli also adds just the right amount of panache to the look. Do not go too deeper into accessories than that.
10. STYLE ME UP WITH SAKSHI – A body positivity activist, her style and fashion sense are nothing less. She breaks the shackles of the stereotype that women with larger bodies and curves need to keep themselves covered all the time. Rather her feed has less of traditional wear and more of the ‘out there’ looks. She does not refrain from wearing anything that sets her heart a flutter and propagates the same confidence to her followers, irrespective of whatever body type or size they may be. Here she wears a saree in a front-knot blouse. Though her close ups mostly show her in a cheerful disposition, here she maintains a ‘non-expressive’ expression.
11. NATASHA LUTHRA – This woman is the pinnacle of soothing beauty. Just a glance through her feed has some sort of tranquil and calming effect on the senses. Take some intense inspiration from her saree poses for the Instagram photo shoot. Giving us all sorts of ‘Paro feels’ from the Aishwarya Rai’s much iconic Devdas looks, she carries off this burnt orange-peach saree with a fine balance of sensuality and panache. With hair swept on one side and flowers on the other, the smoky kohled lend her a mesmerizing charm. Let that goddess of oomph in you take the centre stage and do not shy away from bringing out your ‘larger-than-life’ avatar to the fore while carrying a banarasi saree.
12. DOLLY SINGH – Well, we had reserved the best for the last. This multi-talented influencer who self admittedly makes’ funny videos for a living’ is a total siren in her saree pose avatar. Shot at her home and brilliantly edited, these images can give a complex to any high repute photographer. The mood board for the images has been well set. The backdrop is perfect and her sultry expressions just kill it with the whole look. The lady does know her craft way too well. If you are sure of your look and hhave a concrete mood board in mind, do not refrain from going overboard with your posing. Feel the character, immerse into the mood and put your best foot forward. The images are sure going to turn out as superlative as these.
FEW POINTERS TO KEEP IN MIND WHILE ATTEMPTING YOUR SAREE POSES
We live in an image-obsessed world and it is not best advised to just go about shooting the images of the look randomly. If you have made all the effort to wrap that saree around you, do make an equal effort to capture the look well in images. We help you with some important points to keep in mind.
– While deciding upon your saree poses, have a fair idea of what you are looking at as the final image. There should be a clear mood board as a reference.
– Keep everything synchronized and as part of a single story. The background, props, lightening, saree, everything should complement each other.
– Draw reference from other’s Instagram posts but do not aim to completely imitate them. Create your own visual as per your individual style and body language. It is always the originals that are remembered and revered.
– Feel the saree. Feel the vibe of the outfit that you are wearing and only then will it reflect well in the images.
– Drape the saree properly. Creases are not flattering and a saree tied up in hurry shows up worse in images.
– Use pins to put it well in place if you do not have the habit of carrying a saree well.
– Keep a single vibe of all the elements. It can either be retro, indo-western, traditional fusion or vintage. You cannot incorporate one part of each into the look.
Finally, put your creative energies to the best use. Come up with some really innovative ideas, while keeping ‘elegance’ as the watch word. Get a lot of images clicked and be ready to relish the after taste of all the online compliments pouring in.