‘Burgundy’ is the colour of the elite and classy. If you want to have a visual image of the burgundy colour in your head, think of red wine with burgundy undertones. A dress in this colour looks very rich and classy, but it is a loss that we do not spot our celebrities wearing something in this colour very often. We recently spotted a few of the ‘much-acclaimed-for-their-fashion-sense’ International celebrities in burgundy dresses and couldn’t help but fall for their looks. It is time we take inspiration from their style and consciously make an effort to include an elegant burgundy dress in our wardrobe for those special occasions.
Actresses Who Rocked the Burgundy Dress Look
1. JOANNE FROGGATT – Clinched at the waist, this Burberry dress works well to accentuate the petite frame of Joanne Froggatt. Some skin show works in a very enchanting way with colour burgundy and if done right, it can add the right amount of sensual notes. With deep cleavage and a long slit, the dress looks quite stylish and chic. We love the heavy embellishments around the waistline and armholes that give the further appeal of luxury to the whole look.
2. REESE WITHERSPOON – This one-side off-shoulder dress from Michael Kors makes for an ethereal look on Reese Witherspoon. Though the whole silhouette is simple and understated, it works well to bring out the curvaceous figure of the actress. Full kudos to her stylist for not over-accessorizing the look and not bombarding it with any heavy makeup, hairstyle or jewellery. They have best kept all the focus on the colour of the dress and the unmissable innate elegance of the actress.
3. EMMA STONE – Simple and sexy, that is how we like to describe this dress. The fabric of the dress falls beautifully on the actress. We appreciate the fact that the dress is not loosely hanging around her body but has a well-defined structure and flow. With a dewy face, burgundy lips and some curls in her hair, she looks like a diva straight from the heavens. This can be one of the most iconic dresses in your wardrobe for a high-end dinner or a romantic proposal night.
4. MARY J – This dress needs no advocacy. With an off-shoulder plunging neckline and sheer net sleeves for company, it is equal parts feminine and sexy. The trail makes it a perfect look for a red-carpet event. The great thing about a burgundy dress is that you do not have to try too hard. Just pick a perfect dress that does justice to your body shape and size and there is no need to work hard on anything else. Keep everything simple and flawless and let the dress do the talking.
5. PRIYANKA CHOPRA JONAS – How can our very own homegrown style icon be left behind in any list when she has already made such disruptive waves globally with her style and personality? This Ralph Lauren burgundy dress with dazzling headgear is one of her most iconic looks to date. She was acclaimed by one and all for her look; the media paparazzi, fashion stylists and critics as well as the general public. Well, we expect nothing short from this boss lady.
6. ADITI RAO HYDARI – This graceful actress with dove-like skin looks every bit heavenly in this burgundy dress from the designer brand AM PM. Burgundy as a colour has not got its due when it comes to Indian wear. While it looks glamorous when worn in western gowns and couture, the colour lends a certain mystical, deeper meaning to the look when worn in Indian wear. Aditi Rao Hydari, whom we consider an epitome of elegance, does absolute justice to this burgundy coloured Indian outfit.
7. OLIVIA WILDE – A burgundy dress does not need too many embellishments or adornments to bring out its effect. Rather the more subtly you play, the more ravishing the overall effect. This overall shimmery glittering burgundy dress does good justice to the svelte figure and flawless complexion of Olivia Wilde. With a sharp clutch and some diamonds on the neck, she gives a million hearts aflutter with that charming smile. This is the spellbound magic that you can do with wearing a burgundy dress to a special occasion.
8. NATALIE PORTMAN – The actress is celebrated the world over for her stellar acting prowess and also for her porcelain flawless complexion. We love this off-shoulder bosom-enhancing burgundy dress on her. It has a free-flowing silhouette and looks absolutely dreamy and luxurious. With a silver shiny clutch, diamond danglers, bare décolletage and hair tied back in a bun, we can’t deny, she steals million hearts with all her might.
9. OLIVIA MUNN – This is a break from all the red-carpet-worthy formal looks in a burgundy dress shared above. With some creative appliqué motifs spread around, this dress can be worn for any dinner, cocktail night or a special event with noteworthy people in attendance. You would surely make a style statement and get noticed for your premium style aesthetics. The neck of the dress is low bringing all the attention to the neckline. With full puffed sleeves and a loose spread at the bottom, we find this dress super sexy and a perfect outfit for someone with a tall and broad frame. Wear some good high heels and you would surely be on top of the world with such high-end fashion choices.
10. EMMA WATSON – Ditching the long gowns, bring out your young girl vibe in this playful, chic co-ord set in burgundy. The colour is not a very typical choice for a short dress and that is what makes it stand out. Just as Watson did right, there is no need to over-style or overplay with such a dress. Keep it simple with a stylish pair of heels and light makeup.
Few Styling Tips That Work Great with a Burgundy Dress
– Never try too hard with accessorizing. For jewellery, either go all bare or just focus on one piece that complements your dress. It can either be a neckpiece or earrings or maybe even a bejeweled headband. But remember, you have to get compliments for your dress, not your jewellery.
– Most women make a mistake with their choice of footwear. Steer clear of flats, ballerinas or wedges. Either wear pumps or strappy heels. The colour should either be nude, black or burgundy colour. With a burgundy outfit, the safest bet is to wear burgundy coloured heels also. Else if you feel too bewildered while making the right choice, go for a nude heel with bare minimum visibility.
– In makeup, no dark makeup or smokey eyes. Keep them nude or just apply a little shimmer. The focus should be flawless skin with some highlighter and strong lips. Your skin should look healthy and illuminated to complement the exuberance of the burgundy dress well. Either wear a nude lip shade or go all out with a burgundy lipcolour. We will suggest you venture out all bold with a burgundy lip shade and gloss because why not?
– Finally, wear the dress with ultimate confidence. Nothing looks sexier on a woman than confidence and a burgundy dress. And if worn together, the combination is lethal. Leave all your inhibitions behind and embrace the sultriness of the colour with full aplomb.
We hope these celebrities give you much inspiration to flaunt a dress soon. Though we find all the looks equally stunning and inspiring, we can’t help but be a little more impressed with the looks of Olivia Munn and Olivia Wilde. Both the ladies have put it all together really well and their dresses are also quite flattering. We would love to hear in the comments below the one look that had your jaw dropped the most out of these.