“Live. Laugh. Wear Sunscreen.”– Anonymous
Whoever imparted these words of wisdom was a great Samaritan! Welcome back to reflect on yet another riveting, thought-provoking piece of information. In this era of beauty regimes and skincare, we often tend to overlook the basics. Do you agree?
Be it to protect ourselves from the burning rays of the scorching sun, or add a protective layer to the countless makeup products that we colour our pretty faces with, one such product will always be our constant companion- sunscreen. Bewildered much? Well, if you are a beauty enthusiast, we’re sure you’d be well aware of its advantages, but if you happen to skip this very integral step, incorporate it immediately.
The building block or base of life (being a tad bit hyperbolic because skincare is bae!), sunscreens are multifaceted products that serve more than they vouch for. Of course, just like everything related to ‘skinvestment’, the type of sunscreen you should be using depends on your skin type, namely, dry, oily, normal or a combination. Secondly, a very paramount rule of thumb, while selecting a sunscreen is to check out its SPF, famously known as the Sun Protecting Factor. We’re sure you are abreast with this basic lingo, but a little reiteration hurt nobody, right?
An integral component of any gel-based sunscreen, the amount of SPF helps to protect us from the harmful short B waves of the ultraviolet rays of the sun; these rays are known to cause skin conditions and cancers! While it starts from a 15% intake, researchers have revealed that the higher the quotient better is the shielding. Keeping these facts in mind, it is advisable to go for a minimum of 30 SPF. Without a doubt, those sun blockers which scream a 40 or 50 SPF are the best because they have a 97%-98% of efficacy rate.
Best Gel Based Sunscreens for an Oily Skin
In a humid and tropical country like India, most of us often complain of having greasy, sticky and acne-prone oily skin, with our T-zones taking the most hit. While thousands of skin gurus may educate us on the final finish that we should opt for, always go back to the logic. Yes, our skin may feel oily, but do we really want to get rid of all essential oils and hydration?
From a mainstay experience, you all will probably relate strongly to the diverse skin issues such as blemishes, excessive sebum production and open pores faced by someone who has oily skin. We all know a little too well that open pores are a breeding ground for dirt and toxins to clog. It, therefore, is essential for this category of people to take great care.
And, one such solution is the ingenious launch of gel-based sunscreens. As suggested by the name, these shields are made out of gel or water, which are free from oils or sticky formulas. Consequently, they help rejuvenate and hydrate the skin, while maintaining its necessary properties.
But, there is more than what meets the eye. Let’s look at some of the benefits that make them a dermatologist’s favourite!
- These gel-based sunscreen formulae are lightweight and contain fewer emollients, thereby protecting our skin without lifting any heavily loaded textures.
- While these water-based products are non-sticky, they greatly improve our facial aesthetics by giving our face a luminous glow, exuding radiant summer bliss.
- Since they are non-comedogenic, these gels don’t clog your pores. You can, therefore, safely bid adios to acne, pimples or any other irritants.
- These gels are sebum controllers that balance the amount of oil secretion and keep the skin moisturized.
- It provides great photo protection from the sun’s rays.
- This gel spreads evenly and deeply onto the skin, inherently securing us from external aggressors.
- As we all know, sunscreen is an amazing pre-makeup foundation. It, therefore, doesn’t come as a surprise that this gel-based formula acts as a great adjunct from a dewy base.
Now, now! Who is ready to explore this marketplace consisting of a wide array of gel-based sunscreens and sunblocks best suited to our individual skin category? Read on to know more!
10 Gel Based Sunscreens Suited for the Indian Skin
“Variety is the spice of life.” Or staying relevant to today’s times, should we say, we all are sincerely spoilt for choice. We think the latter sentiment is better. In this ever-growing, booming cosmetic industry and trends gravitating towards ‘clean’ and sustainable beauty standards, one aspect remains firm and is here to stay- the power of sunscreens as your MVP- Main Valued Player.
If you are prone to getting oily or greasy skin, then do not get overwhelmed by the number of advertising tag lines persuading you to purchase an array of products. We’re here to take care of that with the comprehensive list of our top 8 picks of gel-based sunscreen products that you need to try out, ASAP!
1. Neutrogena Ultrasheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 50+: Promising swift absorption, this sunblock gives your skin a soft and matte finish. Boasting an SPF value of 50, it protects your skin from the long (A) and short (B) UV rays of the sun. You should apply this after your moisturizer daily. Available for a mere Rs. 199, this non-comedogenic, light-textured and sweat-resistant is one of the winners of this race.
2. Lotus Herbals Safe Sun UV Screen Matte Gel Pa+++ SPF 50: Kudos to you if you apply this magic potion. This water-resistant, non-sticky and everlasting formula protects from ageing (yes, you heard that right) and sunburn and gives you a bold, matte look. An ideal recommendation for oily skin, this mix easily soaks up into the skin and prevents pigmentation. Priced at Rs. 315, it definitely lives up to its steep price.
3. Plum Green Tea Day-Light Sunscreen Gel SPF 35 PA+++: Enabling you to have your fun in the sun, this vegan, paraben and cruelty-free shield has us captivated. While it comes at a whopping Rs. 575, its ultra-light gel texture and breezy, non-comedogenic recipe effectively sucks up into the skin. While the aloe juice and the calendula concentration calms and cools the affected skin, the antioxidant properties of the green tea extracts prevent acne. Also, need we say more if it is a Plum offspring?
4. Sunprotek Gel Sunscreen SPF 50+ PA+++: Featherlike in its weight, this blend leaves no white cast, and exudes a minimal shine. The presence of aloe and allantoin helps to hydrate and moisturize the skin so efficiently that their patrons claim that they do not need to use a moisturizer prior. Furthermore, it tickles our nostrils with a mild, pleasant fragrance. Following the ‘it costs to be cool’ attitude, this gel is priced at Rs. 750.
5. Lakme Sun Expert Ultra Matte SPF 50 PA+++ Gel Sunscreen: An industry veteran, Lakme equates to top-quality products. If you are wary of getting a tan, this baby will surely guard you by forming an invisible barrier. This gel-based sunscreen is super absorbent, lightweight and non-sticky, while it can sometimes show white patches. But, hey, the secret lies in applying it properly. It is available for Rs. 300.
6. Kaya Ultra-Light Aquagel Sunscreen SPF 25: The name says it all, doesn’t it? From tanning to sunburn and melanoma (yes, Grey’s Anatomy fans will get it), this sunscreen is your ‘prevention is better than cure’ hack. A mineral sunscreen, it basks in the glory of being weightless, non-comedogenic and fragrance-free. You can get hold of it for Rs. 493.
7. Derma Essentia SPF 50 Advanced Gel Based Sunscreen: This cosmetologist favoured guard, is a broad-spectrum sunscreen gel, formulated using an encapsulated nanotechnology. A non-absorbent formula, it is highly water-resistant, and like other shields falling under the gel-based purview is extremely lightweight and non-sticky. The aloe vera extract and glycerine enhance skin health and quality. It is available for Rs. 450.
8. Bioderma Photoderm Max Aquafluide SPF 50+: With this product costing Rs. 1520, we assure you that it is doubly effective and thereby, totally its money’s worth. In this outdoorsy world of hustle and slay, we all need that extra protection to effortlessly go about our day. With a unique technology striking a balance between extreme fluidity and a very dry touch, this concoction will be your Bella from Breaking Dawn who fortifies her family from the demons (this is a metaphoric analogy, of course!). Besides, this Golden Tint offers a very high UVA/UVB anti-shine protection and evens out the complexion.
9. O3+ Mattifying Gel Cream SPF 50: Advance Protection: This delicate, gel-based agent can help you get rid of your sun scares. Giving you a matte finish, it should be applied 20 minutes before you step out of the house. This Rs. 445 marvel, boasts of controlling oil production and brightening the skin.
10. Dermafique Soleil Defense Gel Creme Full Light SPF 30: Sworn by several eminent dermatologists, this Rs. 712 charged product is truly a sun-saviour. Providing complete protection from UVA, UVB, Visible light and infrared radiation, can we please rest our case in its favour? Additionally, it melts into the skin devoid of clogging pores. The SPF 30 formula prevents tanning, aging and pigmentation. And now, as a double whammy, it is suitable for all skin types and can be comfortably worn under makeup.
To sign off, who is ready to live the sunny side up life, without worrying about the various possible skincare woes? With this list specially curated for you, you’re all set to sizzle and heat up your surroundings a little more! Just add your preferred elixir, and enjoy that peaceful day at the beach or the park, or move freely about your day, conquering one dream after the other. We promise the fast-paced city life, too, will have nothing on you with your mystic potion by your side.